stackoverflow

should I buy a 2006 swift vxi

Hello All, I am a first time car buyer and still learning. I saw a 2006 swift vxi (1.3 ltr) which is in good condition It has run 37, 500 km. the price quoted is around 3 Lakhs. Please give me an opinion on whether I should buy it and what could be the correct price. are there any drawbacks for the 2006 swif model? I plan to use it for around 2 years. Thanks in advance.

The swift is one of the better Maruti Suzukis to have rolled into India which also makes it a decent used buy. In case you are not too confident of your judgement about the condition, its best to take a trusty mechanic along. Also, check under the hood for the condition of the engine oil and other fluids such as coolant and the brake oil for a quick and rough estimate of how the owner has maintained the car. In case the car has genuinely done 37,500 kms, the engine should be in top shape. Since a 2006 car is nearly 7 years old now, 3 lakhs is slightly expensive and try negotiating further.

All the best!

Hi there

Bong has basically explained everything in a nice way to you. Apart from what hes suggested, take some time to check the insurance as well (if there are any claims made) etc. 37k kms is nothing for a Japanese car and this should be good to do many kms and would be perfect since you are going to use it for 2 years only. Do check the service history of the car as well

Coming to the price 3 lakhs is quite a bit for a 6+ year old car. Try to negotiate it into the 2.40 lakh price range .

Good luck

2006 Swift 1.3 VXi retains the present value of nearly Rs.2.0-2.4 lacs, depending upon the condition of the car & area/location of the dealing.

Pros include a highly refined & buzzy 1.3 l G-Series petrol engine but the major con is its fuel efficiency which averages around 12-14kmpl in mixed driving conditions.

For a first times, no doubt Swift petrol is a good option but 3-lacs for 2006 car is simply too much under any conditions, so better is to buy a upper model(2009-2010) onwards Swift or Ritz powered with 1.2 K-series petrol engine, as the latter is very much fuel efficient or another option is to go for Alto k10, the best entry level hatchback & best for first timers.

Inspecting tyre tread wear will help to make genuine estimation whether it made only 37k kms or more. Take help from a good mechanic. Also check for any poor quality body work done on it as it may get rust during rainy season.

After pointing out those minor problems, you may bargain more, It really works!! ;)

Its a great car with a nice long term record. The odo reading indicates that the engine is perfect. But please check the following things also,

1. Suspension wear and tear. (It indicates rough use and may cost you a huge sum)

2. Body dents and check whether it is repainted ever.

3. Try to get the service history.

4. Check the tyre wear.

5. Drive yourself and see if there is any uneven pull or drag.

6. Check the silencer (I think it may be on the verge of getting damaged)

7. Check the underbody.

The price is very high. Negotiate to 2.2 or 2.5(max)

Ya, 3 lakh is too much! Even before some days, I've seen 2007 Nissan Teana for 4 lakhs on net! & with respect to 2006 swift vxi, it shouldn't be a penny more than 1.9-2 lakhs & that too if it's in damn good condition!

I am late here and everything is almost covered ,

If you post photos of the same (Interiors and Exteriors) we all can give you a better picture of what it should cost like.

Anything below 2.5L for a decent looker from a known source is an OK BUY.

Look at it this way anything you can knock off the table can be used to spruce up the buy.

Hello All, Thanks a lot for your responses. After going through your advice. I am just thinking if I go for this vehicle or go for a brand new vehicle. The seller is not ready to sell below 2.8 lacs.

Leave it then.

You can get many other similar car at much better price.

Yeah.. 2.8 for a 2006 model is a lot.. If I'm not mistaken, this is the vanilla product sans any face-lift whatsoever.

Unless this owner has spent on projector headlamps, a fantastic ICE, good set of wheels, impeccable interiors, anything beyond 2.5 - 2.6 is too much.

37,500 kms for a 7 year old car is definitely a steal, but all the factors mentioned by members in this thread are very important.

Service history is very important and would tell things that one cannot easily make out by looking at the car. Also, talking to the service center may also tell you any information that the owner may have given a miss - something like a recommendation to change a part which the owner did not think necessary..

A used car is always a gamble. Plus, there are bound to be service bills a little on the higher side and you cannot entirely blame the first owner for it. As the car ages, whether used or not, a few parts need to be replaced/overhauled. This shoots up the bills considerably.

Make sure you think through all possible angles before going for it.