h3mzshaw

Looking for a Tourer

I am looking for a tourer, and a BMW had actually caught my fancy - K 1600 GTL - but its obviously way way way out of my modest budget of around 1.5 lacs.

I love to travel and have tried to abuse my TVS Wego by completing little more 2400 kms in less than 3 months. The Wego is the first ever vehicle in my family, which I bought in October 2012.

This new bike will be my first bike, and before this I rode a couple of Bajaj CT100, Platina and a Splendor but not for long. I am looking for something which I can use for traveling long distances (in the range of 100 to 200 kms at the moment), easy to ride, should be very reliable and most importantly, comfortable and return decent mileage.

I am not keen on the Avenger 220 at all, and some of my friends suggest I should consider RE ThunderBird. If so, which one would you recommend. I am open for other options too. What do you think I should be looking for?

Hello, you can go for r15 v2.0 or Duke 200.

I have travelled a maximum of 400 kms (which i drove) on r15 with no issues and no tiredness. One issue i noticed, that its not at all comfortable for the pillion to travel such long distances.

RE thunderbird is the overall killer of all bikes, its the ultimate killer. You can travel long distances on this bike.

Duke 200 is on my final list as KTM gives you excellent build quality and excellent after sales service. I mean go and have test drive of this beast. It's excellent rev power and manoeuvrability will take your heart ..

RE Thunderbird is an exellent bike! wheter it's 350 or 500, both are great, but being newer than 350, 500 has an edge over it! So, if you can strech your budget a bit then go for it! otherwise 350 lies well in your budget! & Avenger 220 is also a nice bike & is very pocket friendly too; but it lacks that awsome feel of a RE engine & apeal!

My vote goes to KTM Duke200.

It's the best bike ints segment with comfortable Upright seating, which is ideal for long rides for both driver & pillion rider. It's the only bike across its rivals to offer such seating layout.

Don't forget to take the extended warranty with it for complete peace of mind for 3-4years.

Another option well in your budget is Royal Enfield 350 Classic. No doubt it's a great bike but don't expect a trouble free driving all the time in its ownership.

If you are not planning to go off-road, the Avenger is the best option-Good ride, easy to maintain and reliable. If you plan to go off-roading there is nothing better than the bullet. There are hardly any other genuine tourers available. Sports bikes or City bikes dont make good long distance tourers.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The decision is still a month away and i already see more alignment to the RE Thunderbird. I guess if it is going to be RE TB, then mostly i will go for 350 as it would be in my budget. I do like the Duke, but I have my doubts on the pillion comfort. Both rider and pillion comfort are of importance to me.

Another option well in your budget is Royal Enfield 350 Classic. No doubt it's a great bike but don't expect a trouble free driving all the time in its ownership.

I am not keen on the Classic because I may not find it attractive as TB is. I always thought I was a 'Sports Bike' guy untill i started munching long distances on my Wego.

I might even consider the Avenger 220 if am convinced enough that it is low on maintenance, reliable..., but the low ride hight is a turn off

If you are not planning to go off-road, the Avenger is the best option-Good ride, easy to maintain and reliable. If you plan to go off-roading there is nothing better than the bullet. There are hardly any other genuine tourers available. Sports bikes or City bikes dont make good long distance tourers.

Off road is not on the cards and more of Highway, but want to tackle the pot holes and some 30 speed breakers in a 4 kms stretch from highway to my home.

RE Thunderbird is an exellent bike! wheter it's 350 or 500, both are great, but being newer than 350, 500 has an edge over it! So, if you can strech your budget a bit then go for it! otherwise 350 lies well in your budget! & Avenger 220 is also a nice bike & is very pocket friendly too; but it lacks that awsome feel of a RE engine & apeal!

I checked on the RE website and there are some small differences visually. You said the 500 is newer, and i was under the impression that both were new bikes. Can you suggest what is the difference?

Hello, you can go for r15 v2.0 or Duke 200.

I have travelled a maximum of 400 kms (which i drove) on r15 with no issues and no tiredness. One issue i noticed, that its not at all comfortable for the pillion to travel such long distances.

I checked the Yamaha R15 site and found three varients. V.2.0, a spl edition and another version which i dont remember the name of. I was wondering if the Spl edition was build upon V.2.0

The only problem with Duke it seems is the stiff suspension as i found out from a test ride video online. The roads are not always smooth, specifically the place were I live has a lot of uneven speed breakers and lots of pot holes. So Duke's suspension compromises on the comfort on those roads. The bike has to take all that and more.

If i've drive/commute daily on my bike, I'd definitely stay away from Royal Enfield(be it a Classic or Thunderbird, etc).

These are the bikes that have to driven purely with passion & with utmost care. The moment you got negligent about RE, it'll show you the results in no moment.

So, for daily commutes, I'd still advice you to go for Duke200 or Pulsar 200NS or even Avenger.

The last two out of these three are extremely reliable bikes with good fuel efficiency.

If i've drive/commute daily on my bike, I'd definitely stay away from Royal Enfield(be it a Classic or Thunderbird, etc).

These are the bikes that have to driven purely with passion & with utmost care. The moment you got negligent about RE, it'll show you the results in no moment.

So, for daily commutes, I'd still advice you to go for Duke200 or Pulsar 200NS or even Avenger.

The last two out of these three are extremely reliable bikes with good fuel efficiency.

Thank you dr. I think i am not a smooth rider, and think a bit less on what the bike wud go through and hence reliability is key for me. Something that is troubling me on the wego. The silencer and engine nut already came loose and there were four trips already to the service station and one premature servicing. I guess that speaks volumes of my ride quality :-P

I will definitely go and check the Duke and consider a test ride. But it wont be a tourer and thats something I am missing in this price range

I checked on the RE website and there are some small differences visually. You said the 500 is newer, and i was under the impression that both were new bikes. Can you suggest what is the difference?

K! I was unaware about TB350's new make over! Here are some advantages of TB 500 over 350:

1. TB 500 is fuel injected, while 350 is not! Which means it'll deliver better performance & better fuel economy!
  2. TB500 has Digital Electronic Ignition & 350 has Transistorized Coil Ignition, which will ensure that you don't have startup problems!
  3. TB500 weighs 195 kg & 350 weighs 192 kg; but 500 offers 27.2 bhp, while 350 has 19.8 bhp! means TB500 has much better power-to-weight ratio & this will show huge diffrence while hard-core riding!

K! I was unaware about TB350's new make over! Here are some advantages of TB 500 over 350:

1. TB 500 is fuel injected, while 350 is not! Which means it'll deliver better performance & better fuel economy!
  2. TB500 has Digital Electronic Ignition & 350 has Transistorized Coil Ignition, which will ensure that you don't have startup problems!
  3. TB500 weighs 195 kg & 350 weighs 192 kg; but 500 offers 27.2 bhp, while 350 has 19.8 bhp! means TB500 has much better power-to-weight ratio & this will show huge diffrence while hard-core riding!

Thank you CarCrazyASTL. That helps clarify. I will be checking out the Thunderbird 350 at the showroom tomorrow and see what the showroom guys say too. I also checked out Pulsar 200NS and the Duke 200. According to Autocar reviews, the Pulsar is more comfy than the duke, and the latter offering more power in bhp, smoother riding and top speed. I will also be checking out the Avenger.

If you can afford a Duke, then why even look at Pulsar?

Next, since you need a tourer, why CBR 150 not in list? It should be the best tourer in its segment much more comfortable than Duke.

If you feel CBR is bulky and wait for some time, you can have CB150R which is nothing but a Naked CBR which should be CHEAP/ FE and flickable.

Hey Guys, my brother is looking for a cruiser bike within 1.5 lac range.

As i understand there are not too many options available within that range for a cruiser bike.

Couple of them being Avenger, TB 350/500.

Avenger though good on maintenance part lacks that outright punch of a RE.

My brother had visited RE showroom and he liked both TB 350/500. TB 500 offers a beautiful exclusive matt black colour but it's little out of budget 1.8 lac OTR.

Whereas TB 350 fits perfectly within budget 1.4 lac OTR.

He has as of now booked TB 350 with delivery within 2 weeks time.

So wanted to know your valuable inputs on following points:

- How is the maintenance of TB 350 compared to TB 500 (my brother spoke to some bike mechanics of RE and they advised avoiding TB 500 and go for TB 350)

- Any other options within this price range for a cruiser bike

Many thanks