librankur

Nano revving up for big league

3 Jan 2013 Hindustan Times (Delhi)Sumant Banerji

Stronger, costlier car in the works, sedan version may also be on offer

NEW DELHI: The world’s cheapest car, the Nano, may soon get bigger, stronger and costlier.

Tata Motors is planning to fit the car with a 1-litre engine to revive the product that has had a rollercoaster ride since its launch in 2009. With a bigger engine, a sedan version may also be on offer.

Vendors told HT that Tata had been working on a 966cc version to replace the Nano’s 624cc engine since the Alto is powered by a 796cc engine.

The technical head of a component maker said on condition of anonymity: “Significant changes are being made to the car and the chassis is being strengthened to take more weight.”

He said, “They (Tata) also hinted that there could be a version of the car with a boot as well. All this will surely entail an increase in the price, as Tata does not want it to be seen as a cheap car anymore.”

With the world’s smallest ever car engine, the Nano costs Rs1.432 lakh in Delhi, while its main rival, the Maruti Alto, is priced at about Rs2.40 lakh.

When contacted, the company refused to be drawn into any speculation although Tata Group’s chairman emeritus Ratan Tata confirmed last month: “We have to do something to refresh the product (Nano).”

While Tata has sold about 225,000 Nanos since July 2009, Maruti sold 300,000 Altos a year. The Nano’s 80-litre boot space is one of the reasons that affected its sales as the Alto has a 177-litre space.

Source : HT Delhi

Good for the Nano but with this news it is going into the proper entry level hatch segment. Dont know if it will still retain the cheapest car tag because the prices are sure to go up into the 3 lakh rupee range. Good luck Tata Motors

And the Forum is back online.

As it is , Nano did not do as much good for the TATAs as was expected , so its better they shed the cheap car tag and make it more desirable.This might sell for them.

I personally find the Nanos, Auto-rickshaw type sounding engine offensive , hoping, it atleast sounds better after the upgrade.

I wish TATA would start to do something. The way they are losing sales numbers every month its quite worrying. The problem in TATA seems to be that the decision makers seem to be accountants rather than people who understand the dynamics of the market. They need to focus on new designs and restructure their entire portfolio.

The above rendering of the nano sedan looks quite good.

i think a 3 cylinder unit wit as small displacement as possible may be 800cc is adequate enough...1000cc seems unneccesary. plus make it look like the europa and giv it features like abs n airbags on top model, europa interiors...openable rear hatch, power steering...and all these under 300k. i think it should sell.

i think a 3 cylinder unit wit as small displacement as possible may be 800cc is adequate enough...1000cc seems unneccesary. plus make it look like the europa and giv it features like abs n airbags on top model, europa interiors...openable rear hatch, power steering...and all these under 300k. i think it should sell.

With the above mentioned options by you, there is no way Tata will be able to keep it under 3 lakhs. Between 3.5 to 4 lakhs is more realistic.

This CS thing has gave India many horrible looking cars and some like Hyundai are looking to enter into... Do these cars ever serve the sedan purpose? How much "more" boot-space does it offer over its hatch sibling?

Although I admit this concept sells in huge numbers in India, I'm of the opinion that this is the main reason behind the price rise of the sedans in our market. There is another thread where this topic is being discussed.

Even yesteryear cars like the Fiesta Classic cost as much as 9.8 lacs (probably ex-showroom) The new launches are far out of reach - starting somewhere around 8.5 and going all way into the 12-14 lacs category!!

I guess CS models are the cash-cows of the auto manufacturers...

For Tata to put bigger engine the extended back (we may call it as boot) may be required otherwise there is no more space left for big engine to fit in.

The rendering looks cute and looks like it came out directly from some cartoonist imagination.

Don't you think too much of concentration on Nano and it's range of product is diverting Tata Motor's focus from it's other more capable products in India.

Launch of Nano and it's subsequent unfortunate events (burning) already made a big dent on tata Motor's image among the actual buyers. Though world over people came to know about Tata Motors due to Nano it is not the right product Tata should be more focussing on.

Tata should launch Nano with very advanced features and with alternate fuels so that it will not loose it's exclusivity and Tata may ask for a premium and will help tata to display it's capabilities to the world.

Very true,

TATA groups madness around the Nano should end , they are making wastefull expenses in its dressing up while their other segment bleed.

Look at the hottest segment today , compact SUV segment , they should have brought a NEW vehicle by now , their is none , their ARIA stands no where on the sales charts either , their other vehicle also have a similar story.

Their recent attempt with STORME, in my personal capacity, is a total failure.The so called completely new SAFARI looks no better than what they call a MMC in the Auto Industry.

Do something about the Manzas Boot and the rears of practically all your passanger vehicles.

^ MMC = MINOR MODEL CHANGE

Tata has already made enough money on the first generation Indica. I am sure that project has reached a break-even point years ago. I feel Tata Motors must position the Indica even lower than it is currently. Say at a starting price of Rs 2.8 lakh or so for the base version. Tata Motors know it has still got a lot of potential left in the orignal Indica and is continously working on that. There are test-mules seen these days of what people say is LWB Hatch Indica. Something again new and could be a hit with taxi market and fleet operators. But yes, if the Orignal Indica's base price is reduced, It has a good potential to compete with the likes of the smaller hatches from Maruti and Hyundai.

TATA is been known for delivering more for the less paid, as they did with Indica, Indigo, Vista.

So, 966cc for a Nano in sub 3-lacs price range doesn't seems to be a distant dream.

Just guess what they need now ?

Its the brain & heart of same tune what they had at the time of original Indica.

@ CarCrazyASTL

Nice pic as always, the tyre profile looks good ,makes the car more pleasant in its appearance. Hope this time the boot has an openable door :D

It has to be! otherwise, what's the point in having a sedan, whose boot lid can't open! :D

@ CarCrazyASTL

Nice pic as always, the tyre profile looks good ,makes the car more pleasant in its appearance. Hope this time the boot has an openable door :D

The openable boot becomes a reality , exactly after an year of us discussing about it , not the sedan version though.

Nano now also in AMT

Source:

New Nano displayed at the AE 2014 had power steering, revised looks, an AMT gearbox, openable boot and a larger fuel tank

Thats all the faults adressed in one go. I think the Nano has finally become the car it should have been in the beginning

here are a few pics

post-5337-0-85053600-1392142711_thumb.jp

post-5337-0-66851600-1392142801_thumb.jp

post-5337-0-28714400-1392142854_thumb.jp