PrancingHorse

Base or low cost variants in cars. How much base is exactly base?

The low cost Micra thread got me thinking. Lots of of manufactures these days are coming up with entry level or low cost models be it hatches or sedans. They key is to strip the cars of most features and offer them to a wider customer base.

Wanted to know from you guys are what are the bare minimum features that should be offered in a low cost model

eg: I feel that in todays times a left hand side mirror is something which should be given across all variants. I have seen Eons with an left side ORVM

What do you think?

post-7692-0-57420800-1359008128.jpgpost-7692-0-42158200-1359008132.jpgpost-7692-0-48468000-1359008135.jpgpost-7692-0-65471400-1359008349.jpg

Pics source: Google

Nice thread PH, i think the whole idea behind stripping down the car with feature is to make the reachability into lower-middle class (which is expending day by day). So why not to grab the mass and volumes.

I think bare minium feature should be:

PS, Booster Brakes, Front PS, Driver Airbag (i want to emphasis safety).

else

PS, BB, PS 4, USB/Aux/ Music system. Fog Lamps (both), adjustable headrests 4.

Well the manufacturers can skip on cosmetic stuff to price the car low but they shouldn't strip the safety features. I feel all cars in India must come with at least dual airbags and ABS as standard equipment.

Nice topic. Its true that are extremely stingy when it comes to equipment. Skipping on ICE and other things is ok but safety features and power steering is a must today. It should be mandatory to have ABS and airbags as standard

For cars below 4 lacs (A1/A2 segments), i would say PS, Front PW, AC are a must. It would be extremely good if they can have ABS, Airbags also as standard.

Cosmetically, they all should have front/rear bumpers body colored + left ORVM.

For cars above that range, things mentioned above + dual airbags + ABS/EBD should be bare minimum.

Cosmetically, things mentioned above + body colored ORVM, door handles.

These cars are for those who are graduating from a motorcycle / Scooter and should be able to carry their family members in safety.

I have seen so many troddlers lurking out of mobikes and scooters while the mother struggles to keep them in place while she is balancing herself on the two wheeler.

My thing would be a SAFE CAR, no matter what goes in to make it a safe car.

Leave alone STRIPPED, ask Maruti to atleast provide Front Power windows & rear seat head restraint in a almost 7Lac Swift .

Shocked...isn't it available in V-x/d-i variants? I am sure yes they are.

I feel that in todays times a left hand side mirror is something which should be given across all variants. I have seen Eons with an left side ORVM

Seriously, a LHS rear mirror is a must in this days! I still wonder, how my father managed to drive a M800 with single mirror for 15 years! This things are bare minimum!

Assuming AC-Heater & Power steering as standard features, the Safety features which I consider must & would like to as:

Driver Airbag > ABS > Driver + Passenger Airbag > Rear Defogger > Rear Parking Sensors > Rear wash-wipe(for hatchback & SUVs).