rohit_819

TVS Apache Self Starter Not Working

I own a five year old TVS Apache. Recently the self starter has started giving problems. It just produces a humming sound when the button is pressed(Occassionally it does start).

Wondering what the problem was I took my bike to a TVS dealer. The mechanic there by merely pressing the starter button concluded that the battery was ok(battery is only 1yr old) and said Single Clutch of the Magnet in the starter had to be replaced. And he quoted 1.4k for it.

Is it a common problem? Should I go ahead with what that mechanic said or do something else? I have heard even the relay could cause problem. But the mechanic was pretty sure on this!!!

I don't think so, there should be any problem with magnet in starter! If there would be, then it shouldn't start at all! Problem regarding to relay, sounds more logical! I'ld suggest you to take a second opinion from a skilled indivisual mechanic!

Might be the problem of a Secondary gear, which runs a self starter & connects it to the engine shaft for starting.

For such a sensitive part repairs, I'd suggest you to go for repairs & replacement from TVS Authorised Service centre only, even if you've to spend Rs.200-400 more than what the outside Mechanic suggests.