PrancingHorse

Tata showcases D90 Xtreme crossover

post-7692-0-64139100-1359448126.jpgpost-7692-0-33162200-1359448131.jpg

Alongside the recent launch of its Vista D90 hatchback, Tata Motors also showcased a concept for a crossover based on the Vista, called the Vista D90 Xtreme.

The crossover is conceptualised in the same vein as the Skoda Fabia Scout and the upcoming VW CrossPolo, in that it is a standard hatchback with slightly raised suspension (25mm in this case) and a number of cosmetic touches, like a tailgate-mounted spare wheel, to give it the appearance of an SUV. For the D90 Xtreme, additional touches include black cladding on the bumpers and below the doors, roof rails, flared wheelarches and larger, 16-inch alloy wheels.

Interestingly, unlike most SUVs, which mount the wheel directly on the tailgate, the Vista D90 Xtreme’s spare is mounted on a swingarm that is hinged to the rear bumper, beneath the hatch. This was done to avoid tailgate rattle, and to keep the hatch door light enough to lift open easily. And since the spare wheel is not counted in the car’s overall length (which is the same as the standard hatchback’s) the car will still qualify for sub-four-metre small car excise benefits.

On the inside, the car gets black leather seats with yellow stitching, and an aluminium-effect gearlever and pedals.

Under the bonnet, the standard Vista D90’s 89bhp, 1.3-litre, variable-geometry turbo-equipped Quadrajet engine has been modified to produce 104bhp. Our sources tell us the modifications have been carried out in-house by Tata Motors, with a little help from Abarth, Fiat’s performance division. The tweaks include a modified exhaust, a remapped ECU and an optimised turbocharger.

More here: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/330469,tata-vista-based-crossover-unveiled.aspx

As usual this YELLOW colour that you will never see on the roads is picked up as the launch colour, try asking the showroom guys about your desire to own one in this colour and they will do everything in their ability to drive you to another readily available/in stock colour.

I would be surprised to see if these air intake inlets in the bumper actually work.

Tata seems to have woken up from deep sleep. I hope the final production version of this comes with at least revised SUV-ish grill, headlamps, bumpers and tail-lamps. Otherwise no matter how well Tata make this, the general public will take it for just another Indica Vista. Maybe give it the grill similar in design to the one in Storme. I dont think Tata will make any changes to the sheet metal as this would mean a minimum 2-3 years.

Slightly OT, but user reports across India suggest that the Tata Safari Storme is a niggle-free product. This is by people who have done 3000-5000 kms in the beast. :)

Whats wrong with Tata?

Why they have done this so funny? Simple Grey claddings here and there and a Flat bonnet is all Vista needs, but look at what all it got.

Just google Sandero Stepway for a look at how a simple hatch can be converted into an Awesome SUV.

I think it will do well in rural market! & I must say, it's the flashiest tata I've ever seen! Hoping that quality should match up with the flashiness! We may see bits of it in tata's upcoming compact crossover! If tata has provided the same 2.2 ltr engine + 4WD then it'ld be really extreme! & there are many crazy people who wants there small car to be looked like a SUV & if a company itself offers such stuff, then it'll surely sell well!

The BLACK in the infinity roof has some how found its way in the INFINITY TAIL GATE .

Also the hanging tyre looks more like an after thought , like they forgot to pack it in and thus had to carry it as a back pack.

Would someone describe to me how the tail gate opens

Does the owner have to first swing open the tyre mounted assembly like a door and then lift up the tail gate.Which means this swing arm will only be hinged at one point , which means that there is just one arm and thats not symmetrical or do they have a dummy arm.

Can we have more photos of the back please

Since I was trying to see the rendering from the office PC (which blocks lots of images) I could not see it. From another PC I can.

@ shanthanreddyp

Excellent rendering. Hope TATA makes something like that, though I wonder if they will make any changes to the sheet metal. In fact there are some good renderings on the web with the front end taken from the hybrid concept of Manza displayed by TATA in the Auto expo and rear extended. One such rendering is below (copyright to the respective website)

post-7043-0-93006000-1360043962_thumb.jp