reddy

Indicator Stalk on left side of steering wheel ? Isnt it painful ?

Cars With indicator stalk on left side of steering wheel , The inconvenience I found is as below

Using indicators while using gears

Using high & low beams while using gears

Why not the stalk be right side for our RHD country ?

Or

Alternative is ARAI should ask all manufacturers to provide us with Automatic gearbox at Manual gearbox price

Yes, it's very inconviniet! when I bought my Ford Fiesta, the whole jumbling was there for 1st few months, but it's all right now! But my father who has used to Maruti 800 for last 18 years, still does the same mistake many times!

It seems to be welcome & interesting change when one sees it for a first time but when comes to Real-life usage then it really seems to be confusing, especially at the moments when one need to change the gear with left hand & to press horn, pushing indicator stalk while taking the turn.

Don't know why but these days even my left hand also moves towards the wiper stalks of my cars(both are with correct configuration yet) before taking the turn. ;)

But i think it's a basic ergonomic feature & might leads to trouble at the time of its need(as i've seen many drivers pressing the wiper stalk accidently while flashing a beam while driving in cars with opposite configuration). So the country law-ARAI needs to be more precise on such things.

Though such an arrangement makes sense in an Automatic where your Left Hand is free most of the time so might as well use it for operating the lane changing indicator lever.

I see it as a nut job for any congested city in india where your left hand is always on the gear changing stick.Though,It somewhat might work for countries with the Left Hand Side drive

Its like they didnt even want to go through the trouble of swapping the levers while fitting the Steering column assembly for a vehicle that was originally designed for a Left Hand Drive vehicle but later ported for production in a Right Hand market .

Yeah it's very much painful, but once used to it, I often get confused while driving the right side indicator stalk.

So as the problems/issues mentioned above by many other too, I would just mention there should be some form on uniformity in it.

Not just that, even in the fuel filler door which in right side is some cars and left side others. It creates a double line or traffic like situation at fuel pumps.

I think driver side ie. right side is the most appropriate. :)

All Fords, VWs and some Chevys apart from high end European cars have the light controls on the left and wiper controls on the right. Most Japanese and Korean cars have them the other way round. Somehow, I've never had a problem adjusting. Haven't felt inconvenienced in either situation.

It was a big problem when I switched from Zen/Safari to Ford. Slowly got used to. But still feel comfortable with right side because it allows you keep one hand constantly on gear lever. Actually I am usually dont require two hands to drive