Ajit car crazy

ML or Q7 or Touareg

oh guys once again am here but with a completely new plan in my mind. All of you can think me a mad as am altering my choices rapidly, but I thought a lot on this since I have started posting queries here. Previously it was my question to have a premium saloon with my own priorities and I ended not better than being confused among BMW M530d, Audi A6 and Jaguar XF S. So, after discussing with my dad and considering all my necessities like exclusivity, fast performance, good rear seat comfort with good under-thigh support, good reliability and all road usability with a good ground clearance I started thinking on premium SUV category. I am totally confused on what I am doing now, am I better off with premium saloons or is it SUV that will be more suitable to me?

well, I am considering the new Mercedes Benz ML350 cdi, Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Quattro and VW touareg. personally my liking is the ML. I have already convinced my father to stretch the budget 10 lacs more to Rs. 65 lacs. now Q7 is not fitting in that and if I wanna get some cool amenities like B&o Audio and some more like adaptive headlamp and all, then it will be totally out of what my budget is. but still that is the best selling SUV in India..so all of u pls tell me will the ML be a better choice now following my demands. I also thought Q5 V6 and X3 30d for their outright performance but they don't have the much comfort of the ones I just named before, also they are not as exclusive too, so ditched them. VW is just there in the segment but I think VW won't be that premium badge am looking to have like Benz.

so pls help me this time and remember I want the fastest SUV in that segment with my other priorities.

THANKS in advance

Ok thanks all for thier helps. Well the last row seats in the Q7 is not too good as far I heard. Also tell me 1 thing in the 2nd row is it the new ml that has better seats than the Q7? Also after driving the e90 BMW 320d will the ML be fast enough to satify me? As I do not have any choices here. I drove the old Q7 but truly it felt sluggish in driving. Have not drivem the new ml, so in droving will it be better than Q7?mainly my usage will be of front and 2nd row seat. So, overall is the ML a better car? Also I heard some horrible stories of A.S.S of the ML. How is that problem? And consideting my all points am I beyyervoff with sub finally?

If you really want to show off and doesn't need 3rd row, why not consider Evoque?

If you are not in a hurry, you could even wait for Grand Cherokee, though it could be a segment below, it looks so classy. Not to forget that GC shaes its platform with Merc M class.

Edited by creativebala

ml 350 cdi loved the car if i were you i would go with that comes with a great great list of options though the q7 with the bucket seats is also very good every one gets his own seat 4 way climate control a sunroof for the last row though it cannot be pushed back to oppen it only for ventilation though q7 costs more if price is not a problem for you go for the q7

@raj_92, well Q7 is simply out of my budget, I already said I pushed my dad to extend the budget by 10 lacs. now I'm not so sure if the Q7 will fall in that budget or not. Also as far I think the basic Q7 V6 TDI with the common loading will be around 72 lacs. So if I want to have the rear seat entertainment screens, Adaptive headlamps, bucket seats, B&O Audio, for which the Q7 is famous for they will push the bill over 80 lacs I think. so, that will be a problem for me as I don't wanna go more than 65 lacs this time.

so, pls I request everyone to tell me does the ML offer more luxury and comfort to the front and 2nd row passengers compared to a basic Q7 and all others in the segment? also will the kit level be higher in the ML350 compared to the Q7 in its standard norm?

1 more thing, I know the new ML comes with ILS, Mercedes Intelligent Light System. that is a very good feature, but I have a question there. As I need to drive in dense fog in winter highways will the ILS fog mode be a right thing to have on the road? as I think the ILS Fog mode just adjusts the headlamps to increase visibility. will it be better than conventional fog lamps to use?

also no one told me the issues related with ML reliability.

@raj_92, well Q7 is simply out of my budget, I already said I pushed my dad to extend the budget by 10 lacs. now I'm not so sure if the Q7 will fall in that budget or not. Also as far I think the basic Q7 V6 TDI with the common loading will be around 72 lacs. So if I want to have the rear seat entertainment screens, Adaptive headlamps, bucket seats, B&O Audio, for which the Q7 is famous for they will push the bill over 80 lacs I think. so, that will be a problem for me as I don't wanna go more than 65 lacs this time.

so, pls I request everyone to tell me does the ML offer more luxury and comfort to the front and 2nd row passengers compared to a basic Q7 and all others in the segment? also will the kit level be higher in the ML350 compared to the Q7 in its standard norm?

1 more thing, I know the new ML comes with ILS, Mercedes Intelligent Light System. that is a very good feature, but I have a question there. As I need to drive in dense fog in winter highways will the ILS fog mode be a right thing to have on the road? as I think the ILS Fog mode just adjusts the headlamps to increase visibility. will it be better than conventional fog lamps to use?

also no one told me the issues related with ML reliability.

one thing that i have known after owning a s class is that merc's give unmatched comfort so the comfort part should not be an issue for the second row you can get the lcd's and all if iam not mistaken

the ml250 cdi is 53 lakhs on road is iam not mistaken so you are left with 12 lakhs you can fit a lot of things in that amount of money

an advice my s class came with those continental wheels they tend to develop bulges every now and then make sure you dont go for them

Oh thanks @raj for telling me the things. Tyre issue should not be there and here am considering only the ML350 CDI, not the cheaper models. I want the car fully loaded and with all bells and whistels. Also pls answer my other queries I just listed before.

Thanks

Heard that ML350 CDI has not lived upto the expectations of Mercs standards, even its quality isn't that great though which led to few niggling problems.

Instead the variant ML250 which joined later on is somewhat a better performer & is a good VFM. One of my friend is also going to buy it very soon. You can also watch for that variant.

Else, Touareg is a great great great monster SUV & is so powerful that you can lug a Boeing 747 with it(

)

But yes, it lacks on brand value, atleast for a price it sells in India.

So, it has to be either ML250 or Q7, as per your choices.

My opinion, you can have a look at Q5 or Toyota Prado diesel.

@dr_nishu, well, that was a V10 Touareg which is now replaced by V8 TDI. also it's not available in India.. may be u did not notice I said i ditched Q5 for comfort issue. Prado is not all that super classy fast moving machine am looking for now. ya, its true that compared to the ML250 the bigger ML350 is not all that vfm. but we should also remember that having the top end version is always a question of another premium which is falling in my budget.

I request every one pls read my queries in #1 & #9 comment I did before and answer them accordingly pls.

thanks

@dr_nishu, well, that was a V10 Touareg which is now replaced by V8 TDI. also it's not available in India.. may be u did not notice I said i ditched Q5 for comfort issue. Prado is not all that super classy fast moving machine am looking for now. ya, its true that compared to the ML250 the bigger ML350 is not all that vfm. but we should also remember that having the top end version is always a question of another premium which is falling in my budget.

I request every one pls read my queries in #1 & #9 comment I did before and answer them accordingly pls.

thanks

Well said about Touareg, even i was having the same thought about in mind as the car shown there is V10, but in India it's available with smaller engine option, but the thing is that it's having the right genes for doing such hardcore things & this is incorporated in its chassis, engine, gearbox, etc. So, don't think this VW as just another SUV.

You can give a pass to Q5 but not to Touareg on road, thanks to its monstrous road presence with muscular body lines & huge steering wheel sized VW logo on its tail-gate.

Regarding ML, my vote still goes to ML250 CDI, it's meaner, faster & relatively lighter on pocket as compared to 350. After reading & hearing the horror stories of ML350, i'm not much in favour of it plus you can save huge amount if you buy ML250.

What about LR Freelander2 ??

It's a great car/SUV with superb presence & at a very sensible price.

P.S: Don't why the car, the existing car choices doesn't gel well with your price range which is in mid-where, as neither it falls in entry luxury(<45 lacs) nor in Premium luxury segment(>65 lacs) & few of the cars which are in that region, you've left-out them.

So, just a brotherly advice, Please try to reconsider your choices & aspirations regarding the new car, it'll definitely will help you in finalizing the better option.

Goodluck.

Well thanks. Any advice is always welcome. LR Freelander2 is somewhat I don't like anyeay also it is not that fast I want to drive. Hummmm, it seems that I should think more on the Touareg now, but, there is alwats this but., it xertainly isn't all that premium as thhe 3-pointed star. I know Touareg is a monster suv with strong performance on and off the track. Then again considering all my grouse with the Touareg is that it has a simple interior which isn't as thrilling as its name. Also anyone can tell me the watt output of RCD550 audio system available with the car. Its a 8 speaker unit and I don't think it will be as good the Harman Kardon 830 watt unit in Merc. ML350....so, consdering all Merc. ML350 seems to be a richer choice. But Touareg is also in my mind. I won't be buying the car before April-May. So, I got sometime here to think this.

But guys..consider my points and keep suggesting me.

@dr_nishu, did u advise me to either shorten or lengthen my budget? Sorrry, didnt get your last words b

Very properly

Well thanks. Any advice is always welcome. LR Freelander2 is somewhat I don't like anyeay also it is not that fast I want to drive. Hummmm, it seems that I should think more on the Touareg now, but, there is alwats this but., it xertainly isn't all that premium as thhe 3-pointed star. I know Touareg is a monster suv with strong performance on and off the track. Then again considering all my grouse with the Touareg is that it has a simple interior which isn't as thrilling as its name. Also anyone can tell me the watt output of RCD550 audio system available with the car. Its a 8 speaker unit and I don't think it will be as good the Harman Kardon 830 watt unit in Merc. ML350....so, consdering all Merc. ML350 seems to be a richer choice. But Touareg is also in my mind. I won't be buying the car before April-May. So, I got sometime here to think this.

But guys..consider my points and keep suggesting me.

@dr_nishu, did u advise me to either shorten or lengthen my budget? Sorrry, didnt get your last words b

Very properly

what nishu meant was you'r price bracket is neither on the lower side (that is higher than entry level) nor on the higher side (premium level) you dont like the free lander 2 why dont you check out the evoque top end variant it is a great car to own looks good drives good is fast on it's feet and you can show it off

Ok@raj_92, yhen I shoukd think on y

The new Evoque here. But as the numbers suggest this will not n

be as fast as even my current E90 320d. So, thinking on it. Am more lean to the new ML350. Will it be a wrong buy anyway? Ya, I hearf tje gearbox is a lil slow but then there is paddle shifts to make it more fun.

Pls suggest

Ok@raj_92, yhen I shoukd think on y

The new Evoque here. But as the numbers suggest this will not n

be as fast as even my current E90 320d. So, thinking on it. Am more lean to the new ML350. Will it be a wrong buy anyway? Ya, I hearf tje gearbox is a lil slow but then there is paddle shifts to make it more fun.

Pls suggest

as every one here has suggested the 350 is not a worthy car has its fair share of problem

if you want the looks speed just go with the porsche cayenne

Very properly

I mean to say that if you/we are unable to arrive on any suitable car option than please try to reconsider your choices & desires from a new car again.

Either extend or shorten your budget for Q7 or Freelander 2, etc respectively.

Am more lean to the new ML350. Will it be a wrong buy anyway? Ya, I hearf tje gearbox is a lil slow but then there is paddle shifts to make it more fun.

Pls suggest

For the another time, i'm saying no to this car.

Instead go for ML250 or you can also look at Merc GL-class or you can also look at Volvo XC90 SUV, as the latter is a very promising SUV specially in its latest 2013 version.

Do check it out.

Also try to test drive each & every car/SUV which you're considering & then arrive at some conclusion rather pointing & comparing the On-paper figures.

Goodluck.

ok..@dr_nishu, I got your point..but what am seeing here is I can't go down with my budget ths time neither I can increase it even more..ya, my year ending business time has arrived here..so, later after 31st March am gonna surely test drive these beauties..my town has none of their dealers. They r only in Kolkata..but Volvo has no dealership even there..this time the urge to own a big 3 pointed star is working in me. GL350 CDI may be out of what my dad told me to spend..

can I get any good discounts or deals with the Q7 4.2? Is that also a ckd now? or still a cbu? How is the performance of it..remember I won't be taking them offroad. Its just that I should have a good gc to handle almost aktl Indian roads which leads to some ridiculous ones somewhere..ride quality should be good too.. Q7 is big and comfy beast..looks cool, but heard it is hard to maintain the bigger engine version and has a firm ride..

So, am better Not to think on Ml350 now?? Actually am completely in a state making mind 4 that car..

Keep sugggesting me..

Thanks

@raj_92, Porsche Cayenne is not in my budget and also the diesel will be just like other models in the segment with 3.0 ltr diesel mill but ya today am gonna make a call to the Porsche dealer to get the quotes about the price and all. also the diesel is not very much faster than others like even the ML350 CDI, at least in paper. also ML350 will be better vfm i guess . never drove a diesel Porsche. So, don't know how will be that!!!! Also, porsche is coming soon to Kolkata. so, anyone knows when it is exactly coming to West Bengal so that I can have my own dealer?

@raj_92, Porsche Cayenne is not in my budget and also the diesel will be just like other models in the segment with 3.0 ltr diesel mill but ya today am gonna make a call to the Porsche dealer to get the quotes about the price and all. also the diesel is not very much faster than others like even the ML350 CDI, at least in paper. also ML350 will be better vfm i guess . never drove a diesel Porsche. So, don't know how will be that!!!! Also, porsche is coming soon to Kolkata. so, anyone knows when it is exactly coming to West Bengal so that I can have my own dealer?

YOU ARE STUCK WITH THE ML350 CDI GO FOR IT