PrancingHorse

India-bound Jeep Cherokee revealed

post-7692-0-53830000-1361605788.jpg

Here is the picture of the Cherokee that is the first model will be produced after the alliance of Chrysler and Fiat. It is slated to be officially unveiled at the New York motor show in March, and will replace the company’s smaller SUV, the Liberty, internationally.

Mind you this is not the Big Daddy Grand Cherokee but more of an entry level crossover, which could be priced in the Honda CR-V range. The new Jeep Cherokee is based on a version of Fiat’s ‘Compact Wide’ platform, which underpins the US-market Dodge Dart saloon, the Alfa Romeo Giulietta and the Fiat Viaggio. The platform is capable of accommodating a four-wheel-drive system, V6 engines and diesels, all of which will be available in the new Jeep. The petrol V6, which is unlikely to make it to India, will be a 3.2-litre version of Chrysler’s 3.6-litre unit.

It will also be the first Fiat-Chrysler vehicle to get a new nine-speed automatic gearbox. This transmission is said to be “the future of the front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive world of Chrysler”, according to CEO Sergio Marchionne.

Read more here: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/330974,india-bound-jeep-cherokee-revealed.aspx

What do you think? I feel it looks like just any other small SUV and somehow it is lacking the character of its bigger brother. Looks weird from the front

What do you think? I feel it looks like just any other small SUV and somehow it is lacking the character of its bigger brother. Looks weird from the front

+1

Wonder how designers & top officials @ Jeep let this design pass.

Finally a Jeep with a FIAT design genes incorporated in it.

Though it's really an evolution of Jeep SUV towards the Aero-design philosophy, a breakthrough from highly conventional n boxy Jeep designs.

Lets see how, it gets perceived with Jeep fans. Personally i welcome this change.

May be the design is not inspiring for enthus in this forum but majority of SUV buyers in India may like this jazzy stuff ( like XUV 500).

I doubt about the pricing which may be equivalent to CR-V because sicne it will be an import, 120% import duty will just eat away prospective customer's interest in purchasing this SUV. Let's hope if govt reduces Import duty in upcoming budget.

Also as a brand building step and to create necessary infrastructure (Assembling unit / Showrooms / after sales support / workshops etc....) JEEP / FIAT may initially price this vehicle (if launched in India) steeply for some time.

Not opting for a conventional Jeep design design could be a part of strategy for the Company. They could be gauging waters, formulating prices, building infrastructure before launching high-volume products or just trying to step in ease.

Some Jeep fans are sure to grab the first offerings & thus Jeeps strategy could pay-off. As for me personally, I would want the true-blue-hardcore product.

The design and looks of this India bound JEEP is very contemporary and if it is available in the price range of say Honda CRV or even Toyota Fortuner then its definitely gonna steal the market.

For the hardcore jeep fans it is certain that the JEEP Wrangler/Rubicon are on the list for Indian market at a price range of 32-38 lacs.

Also it is confirmed that the big brother JEEP Grand Cherokee is bound for India at a price range of 48 - 55 lacs.

This whole new approach of bringing JEEP/Chrysler to India by FGAIPL (FIAT Group Automobiles India Pvt. Ltd ) will definitely change the Indian Automotive Market perspective for the company.

Looks very unconventional to me. I feel there will be a facelift very soon once this is launched which could get the normal looking front styling. This looks like CHrysler Fiat has done a Pontiac Aztek

i somehow dont like the split design imo if the headlights were one it would have looked more like an suv

Really, if they were a perfect square & about 40% larger then it would look like a handsome jeep!

Edited by CarCrazyASTL