PrancingHorse

JLR engines could power Tata cars

post-7692-0-42399200-1364805533.jpgpost-7692-0-52269000-1364805537.jpg

You could soon have your Tata Safari or Aria with an engine from Jaguar Land Rover. According to a news article in HT, JLR said it may supply its small 2-litre 4-cylinder petrol and diesel engines that its is currently developing in the UK, and these may fit into some of Tata’s sports utility vehicles — the segemnt that has been seeing action in the Indian market in recent times. Tata’s range of SUVs such as the Sumo, Safari and the Aria all use engines that are as big or bigger than 2,000cc, and potentially, can benefit from the new range being developed by JLR.

In my opinion this could be an awesome move and honestly just what I had hoped for ever since Tata Motors took over JLR

Here is the link to the whole news story in HT

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Autos/Latest-News/JLR-engines-may-now-drive-parent-Tata-s-cars/Article1-1035222.aspx

Yep, it surely is the payback time. But, what i am worried about is Tata's after sales service that is considered inadequate in many parts of India.

It's a situation of havoc when your are going through your bad time and having a hot discussion with the A.S.S guys.

Improvement in A.S.S could definitely be a milestone for Tata along with the introduction of new JLR engines in Tata's fleet of vehicles.

What is wrong with Tatas current engines that they need one from JLR.

For me more than the JLR engine they need the JLR badging to improve sales.Few days beck there were renderings that were rumoured to be the new SUMO, such a thing is needed for the Tatas to become PINK again.

Tatas has fallen to the Fourth position in terms of passenger vehicle manufacturer recently overtaken by M&M and Fifth based on March sales which were down 66.6%.Tata Motors also saw a decline in sales of more than 29% which translates into 90K fewer vehicles sold.

What is wrong with Tatas current engines that they need one from JLR.

For me more than the JLR engine they need the JLR badging to improve sales.Few days beck there were renderings that were rumoured to be the new SUMO, such a thing is needed for the Tatas to become PINK again.

Tatas has fallen to the Fourth position in terms of passenger vehicle manufacturer recently overtaken by M&M and Fifth based on March sales which were down 66.6%.Tata Motors also saw a decline in sales of more than 29% which translates into 90K fewer vehicles sold.

Agree.

Perhaps more design sophistication would resolve the matter for TATAs as it resolved for M&M.

If Tata doesn't do something about new product launches soon, they wont have any cars to put these engines in. Their sales has been falling month after month. From No 2 position they have slipped to No 5. And with Honda becoming aggressive with diesel engines, very soon they will be No 6 in the Indian market.

I would like to share a point here that the upcoming Aria AT with 2.2 Dicor is going to produce nearly 155bhp while the Jaguar and Land Rover diesel engines with same displacement produce about 170bhp albeit less efficiently so there is not much to compare between them excepting the engine refinement, secondly the other engines of Jag and LR which are better their own 2.2 diesel are quite huge to get assembeled in Tata cars, example 3 litre V6 diesel.

Its high time that Tata Motors started getting some cross-group love from JLR. The reason for todays perception of tata vehicles is their quality (or lack thereof)....in everything.

i hope they borrow not only the engine tech from JLR but also their design and quality standards. I dont mind paying 50K more for a tata car as long as it is well built and can give me a hassle-free ownership experience i.e. no unexpected breakdowns after 4yrs of ownership, no fleecing from service centers.