PrancingHorse

Pics: Volkswagen Golf spotted testing on Indian roads

Here are pictures of the 7th gen Volkswagen Golf being tested on our roads. They were snapped by an enthusiast at one of the food malls of the Mumbai Pune Expressway. On questioning the official said that thet were testing engines which are supposed to power the next gen Octavia which will be launched later this year. The Golf seem here was an RHD and had a 1.4 TSI petrol engine.

As much as we would like it to come here, the Golf is NOT being launched in India sadly.

post-7692-0-68054100-1364900365.jpgpost-7692-0-48654900-1364900373_thumb.jppost-7692-0-76652900-1364900383.jpgpost-7692-0-76652900-1364900383.jpg

Pics source : Team BHP

Golf is looking pretty decent.

I mean polo and Vento helped a lot in the sales for Volkswagen. I am pretty sure about that, if Golf arrives in india, it will be a blockbuster in autowood ( my derivation-lol B) )

A case for the Golf would be the space saved by its shorter body (4255mm as against the Vento's 4384mm, and the Jetta is a lot longer), as also the increased interior space. It will be a good buy in urban markets. The car will make a lot of sense, even at Vento prices, but VW needs to clean up their after-sales service network and keep spares in stock, so that they can sustain production and marketing of this car. The Jetta's too big for our roads and parking space, so the Golf will definitely make sense, but VW need to get right their Indian operations, given the trouble they seem to face sustaining business here.

i think it would in premium hatch segment and would compete with Jazz/i20.

One doubt that I have is the rear seat comfort. VW should give much more on rear seat as Polo lacks on this front very badly.

This will go into the 8-10 lacs category for sure if launched - higher for the diesel variant.

Although the car looks pretty awesome, its unlikely to gather huge sales.

Golf has always been the base for all Jettas so far. So if VW do decide to get this car here, they can fairly localize it to keep the costs down. But this would see the same fate as the SRV (Chevrolet... remember!) if launched around 8-10 lacs.

India has always been a snob value market in that price range - a 3 box will always be preferred over a hatch.

Edited by neerajd

Highly unlikely that the Golf will come to India. There's also a white all-new Octavia which is being tested together with this Golf. and that folks, we all know, will surely hit our roads very soon!