PrancingHorse

Hyundai i20 sedan revealed. Should it come to India?

post-7692-0-60409800-1365050189.jpg

Hyundai has revealed and launched the i20 sedan in Brazil. It has been named the HB20 S.. At first glance, the Fluidic design philosophy is evident and it does look good for sure. It looks like a proper sedan and not a boot paste job. While the wheelbase remains identical, the boot is massive at 450 litres.

Should it come to India? I dont think so and for the reasons

Its not a sub 4 meter car and will not gain from excise benefits. If there are no price benefits, it will eat into the sales of the Verna. Hyundai cant have two cars in the same price range else one would canabalize the sales of the other.

Seeing everyone going for sub 4 meter cars now, Hyundai should prob think of a sub 4 meter Verna

post-7692-0-28849600-1365050177.jpgpost-7692-0-33787800-1365050182.jpgpost-7692-0-10545000-1365050186.jpgpost-7692-0-08337300-1365050193.jpgpost-7692-0-77122100-1365050196.jpgpost-7692-0-98390700-1365050200.jpg

Does not make any sense. It's like that time they tried to squeeze in an 'i40' saloon in between the Elantra (i30) and the Sonata (i45). It's a niche too far.

This would be great if it was less than 4m long, but looking at the pictures, unless it is currently 4001mm long, there's no way they could trim it down without extensive re-engineering.

The problem is the Verna and the i20, obviously. How do they price it significantly lower than the former, but higher than the latter? Hyundai has a habit of offering too many variants, and people now equate Hyundai with 'equipment'. So they cannot make the HB20S a 'stripped out' car; no one will touch it.

The only solution seems to be to kill off the two base engines of the Verna (the 1.4 petrol and diesel) and leave only the 1.6es, those seem to be the really popular ones anyway. Since the HB20 isn't sub-4m, they could happily put these engines in here.

It won't be as cheap as the Amaze and Dzire, but it could rattle up the Verito, Sail, Etios and Manza side of the market.

How much shorter than the existing Verna ?

Looks beautifully tempting but knowing how expensive an i20 is this one would definitely be in the Vernas domain.

What good would it serve hyundai to offer similar products , Hyundai why arent you thinking mini SUV.

Hyundai is known for its eye catching futuristic design and their recently launched cars and HB20 has WOW factor in it's design.Hyudai should keep theOverall length below 4000 mm for getting the excise benefit and then it will be a triangular series between Dzire,Amaze and HB20.

certainly a looker, but if it does not come in the price bracket of Dzire then a flop show it would prove to be. Also, pricing it to verna's category is not good strategy at all.

Not coming to India from the recent update from Autocar.

Same reason cited - goes bang into Verna territory and very little parts shared with either i20/Verna including the platform.

Looker for sure...

Not coming to India from the recent update from Autocar.

Same reason cited - goes bang into Verna territory

There you go....but I must say it is high time for Hyundai to introduce a fluidic, next generation entry level sedan in Indian market...Accent looks dead

First of all it is not under magical 4 meter mark, next that i20 currently is sold at a price point which is quite close to Verna, HB20S cant be squeezed between the latter, secondly i20 cant be repositioned to free up a slot for HB20S as next gen i10 is gonna sit between current i10 and i20, so to sum up, HB20S has got a load of hinderences to be launched here.