PrancingHorse

Mahindra going green in a big way but do we have the infrastructure?

post-7692-0-31578900-1365158512.jpg

Its nice to see Mahindra going all out to bring green vehicles onto our roads. Following the launch of the e2o electric car, Mahindra & Mahindra is all set to launch the electric version of its entry-level saloon, the Verito, within a year.

It will be powered by Reva’s electric powertrain, and will produce 29 kW (38.9bhp). The battery pack will around take six hours for a full charge, which will give a claimed range of 100km. A quick charge can also be done in a little over an hour. M&M is investing about Rs 150 crore to develop electric versions of two of its other vehicles, the Gio and Maxximo, as well.

While this is good news for the environment do we really have the infra in place for such cars. For these cars to work properly and make sense there need to be charging points at all places. In my opinion points should be made available in all mall parking lots and other pay and park facilities as well.

Apart from that, the cost of replacing the battery packs is a lot.

I feel Mahindra should work with the Govt. to get these things in place first and at the same time try to get tax reliefs for electric cars, thereby making them more affordable If that comes through, it will be the next thing to own a green car and I for one would love to drive one as a daily driver.

What do you think?

I have voiced my opinion on this thing many times before I feel in order for it to be a success this technology should be strapped onto your most popular vehicular offering.

The other thing that I feel it should as closely represent an existing vehicle of a company and should not be funny looking.

Verito may not be the most popular offerings from the house of Mahindra but atleast its normal looking.

Pricing is the key.

The biggest hurdle in the success of an electric vehicle is the cost of the battery pack and it's replacement cost.

Charging stations in satellite areas is another hurdle.

State governments are doing their bit and Delhi is at the forefront of it all.

Definitely, we can have everything for electric cars. The question was a major breakthrough in this segment. I mean we don't have enough electric cars as of now. So, their was no point of building charging points and service centres across the country.

Another thing was the fee for charging. Obviously, the electricity is not free. How can one pay for the electricity he has consumed for charging his/her vehicle?

It's a cloud of confusion over this segment, but one has to step up to face challenges and open up options and scope for electric cars in India.

Abroad, it's much easier if you own any electric car or bike.

Let's hope for the best! :wacko:

Mahindra going green in a big way but do we have the infrastructure?

As long as China got lots of Lithium reserves, we can't think of e-revolution in the near future.

A Reva is costing around 6L in Delhi... In other state it should be 7L +, so the Verito should be about 11-12L when launched.

So who is going to buy such insanely priced cars? The one/ two super green lover won't mind installing charging unit in his home/office. Others got their trusted Petrol Bunks.