Sign in to follow this  
Amish993

Are those exrta seat really worth?

After a continous onslaught of the MPV and MUV launchs in India, many of them have 7seats, but most of them are posers, like the Quanto and Duster (optional sixth seater), and some of them have really tight room at the back like the Ertiga, so we all know that the true 7 seaters are Aria and Innova, but is this bunch of extra row required? The modern India is facing a bloom of nuclear families and still people buy these huge vehicles just for the sake of 7 seats, I am also a staunch opposser of jump seats which is a great safety hazard.

Well, Im not sure of the Duster but yes the Quanto def has an excuse for real seats at the back. Infact I shudder to think what would happen if a Quanto was rear ended. But at the same time one cant change the Indian mind set easily. People want more seats even if they are tiny, as long as they can have more passenger in their car they are happy

Unless the third row (to be precise, a full size third row) seats can comfortably accommodate at least

two adults, it is of no use in a big car (call it SUV or MUV or LUV or whatever you like). Having a third

row for only kids (and kid-sized adults) is only an eye-wash. By accommodating such a micro-third-row,

most of these cars are reducing the functional space for the front row and the second row. Unlike the

third row, the first and second rows are used most of the time and they should have more space.

Having a third row only for the name sake is just foolish. I found that the third row, in our Xylo E8, is

very comfortable (with individual AC vents, reading lights etc.,) and fully-grown-adults can comfortably

travel very long distances without any problem whatsoever. I have done four trips to Hyderabad from

here, a round about distance of about 1300 to 1400 kms, with six of us. Four of us in the two rows of

Captain seats and another two adults (60kg+, taller than 5'8" and well built) in the third row. Both

ways and on all four trips. With plenty of leg room, shoulder room and head room even for the third row.

When compared to this, I doubt whether any other car can give that sort of comfort. Innova, Aria, Ertiga

or even XUV500 included. For such long distance trips, for two adults (I am not even thinking of taking

a third person - either a kid or an adult) with sufficient leg room, shoulder room and head room.

Edited by rameshbabu.n

i think it is also a market stunt to show compact cars with extra seats. It just makes prospective customer feel good to know that they can carry 2 more people (if need be). However, it is also true that out of 100 odd SUV/MUV sold in India, only 5 to 10 would be sold based on third row comfort. Other 90 to 95 are sold by sheer looks, room for 5 and muscular agreesive appeal which helps driver of these cars to keep the tadpole in their bay on the road.

Absolutely.

The Xylo, Aria and Innova are the only available true third row seaters. Wish Tata had not priced the car so ambitiously. Aria would have been a great car with a good third row seat. In fact, of all the huge ones I have driven, the best 7 seater is the ARIA in terms of ride, handling and the feeling of power; even more than the XUV 500 for precise steering. Coming to the topic of discussion, all the manufacturers in the market for sometime know that even if their target customers are stupid enough to ask for seven seats even if they will not use it through out the life span of the vehicle, they do not want to lose market share to competitiors. All of them are following suit. Probably a day will come when the extended TATA marina with 7 - 8 seats will come for under 6 lakhs and make people feel like owning a cab when they buy a car with 7 seats. And that day will change everything.