creativebala

WagonR - StingRay coming soon EDIT: Now launched starting at Rs. 4.09 lakhs

Thanks as always Nish. Frankly Im not as excited as I was before the pics. of Indian version appeared. Its carries Maruti stamp all over it, light built, grey interiors, etc...Also they dropped the gear on dash & joined front seats arrangement for India.

If this is placed over & above the present Wagon-R, its not going to sell in numbers Maruti must be expecting. This should have replaced the old WR completely.

The stingrays excitement stops at the front facia,its nothing different or just the same wagonR,

but if was with the interior shown(other than the spy pic) it could have made some sense. :)

The front resembles storme & ecosport :) .

That visible gap portion is not by a fault, instead it seems to be a design or a gap for Air intake for radiator as its grille is a closed plastic unit, so all air/heat exchange has to be done through this alongwith huge airdam of its front bumper.

I know, but my point was it doesn't look nice with that wide a gap.

May be in real world in might not look that bad.

It's sad to see Maruti missing couple of tricks in launching Stingray.

- Change in interiors

- An AT option, though be it in petrol

Very Good pricing again, an increase of 18k over regular petrol Wagon-R variants.

Considering the new front end, projector headlamps, steering mounted audio controls etc..the price is very much justified i guess.

The rear spoiler looks hideous and it will be the first thing I will remove from the car. The pricing is good for the different styling wrt normal WagonR. IMO Maruti should now stop selling the Estilo and give more marketing space in the showroom to the Astar and this.

Thanks as always Nish. Frankly Im not as excited as I was before the pics. of Indian version appeared. Its carries Maruti stamp all over it, light built, grey interiors, etc...Also they dropped the gear on dash & joined front seats arrangement for India.

If this is placed over & above the present Wagon-R, its not going to sell in numbers Maruti must be expecting. This should have replaced the old WR completely.

Exactly what i also thought,

Maruti should have replaced the Old WR with SingRay. If a buyer still goes on to purchase old WagonR over its like to like model in StingRay, it will mean that he is not convinced about the extra price charged for the amount of changes/addition SingRay has to offer. In that case the whole purpose would be defied. If they are expecting StingRay to create a separate segment and garner volumes without cannibalizing existing WagonR (or other models for that matter), then they are over-ambitious.

First of all the fact that they used the Stingray name is crime enough. Other than that I dont like the looks of this car at all. The earlier pics looked so much better . I really dont think this will sell a lot unless someone wants some bling from his Wagon R. Maruti really didnt need one more in its crowded hatchback line up

I feel Maruti has reached a stagnancy level in their small car / hatchback segment.

Their small car portfolio cant grow beyond a point, now. May be smaller diesel engine could give that extra little push. But for them now it is important to maintain their position in the hatchback segment. For that best policy as they say is cannibalize your own volumes rather than someone else doing it. I am not sure if Stingray is a right answer to that. Somehow all their hatchbacks now lack in aspirational values, except Swift. They need to come out of complacency mode and up their styling quotient

May be they should now concentrate on cracking the mid size sedan segment, where Verna is ruling and of course the compact UV segment

Okay, time for the next-gen WagonR to break cover. This one's a JDM car though. Love the front look for both the Standard and the StingRay. Rear styling is too boring and weird for India, hope they change it for our market.

To me, The standard car's front styling looks inspired by the Chevy Silverado and the Stingray's looks are taken from the Escalade, what say guys? 

Source

wago5.jpg

wago4.jpg

wago3.jpg

wago2.jpg

wago1.jpg

New Wagon R looks Good & promising as it's design seems to have grown up now with B-pillar seems to be the best part, as I feel. Which can give it better crash protection for the car for Side impact as well as for providing better body rigidity to comply with upcoming crash safety norms(As India is one of the biggest market for this car, I expect Indian requirements also went into designing this car). 

However for Indian market, to accommodate bigger 1.0 litre K-series engine its front styling might be altered with a bit longer bonnet section & bigger front overhang. 

@AMG1 I feel, L-shaped Tail-lamps can make it rear look even better.

Edited by dr_nishu