bhavneet

Guidance needed between petrol and diesel car.

Hey guys,hope all are doing well.

I need to get a new ride, swift. My monthly running is max 2000 kms. I am getting around 800 kms reimbursed from my company @ 6/- per km. Please suggest a diesel will make sense or should I go with the petrol variant. I have no clue about the cons of owning a diesel car. Pls help!

@bhavneet: 2000 KM PM...you definitely need a diesel burner. However, you have not mentioned what is your budget for this buying decision, where do you put up?, highway/city drive ratio and if you have any soft corner for any brand or car.

Let us know these.

@Sstar.. my budget is 5-6 lakh max. I mentioned the maruti swift I have shortlisted. I put up in delhi and my travel is in ncr only, no highway or interstate driving. M also getting reimbursed for approx 800 kms, so pls suggest taking into consideration the maintenance part also, thanks in advance.

Technology wise diesel cars have come a long way from what it used to be. They are no more the dirty, noisy and heavy ones. In fact the recent multijet kind of diesel engines is light weight, refined and is giving a tough fight to the petrol ones. Further diesel engines provide miles of driving pleasure due to their high torque compared to petrol cars. Also diesel cars give more mileage than petrol. The cost of ownership is also normal provided it is well maintained and serviced.

However, diesel cars are expensive than petrol cars. The only way to recover the high initial cost is to drive extensively.

The diesel advantage that we once had due to the price difference of fuel for petrol and diesel is now fast reducing.

These are pros and cons of owning a diesel car.

Thank you all for your views, lets make this discussion a little simpler, assuming my monthly drive is 1500 Kms which is a better option and budget is a constraint, 5.50L is the max i can go. Swift Vxi is a safe bet?

Stick to a Diesel for those many KMS , also account for the Time spent on the roads and not just KMS.

You are being reimbursed for nearly half the KMS as per your new details , consider upping the Budget to accommodate a decent Diesel .Based on what i read here ,You seem to be working at a good position,you can easily ask for a car loan from the company ,this is generally lower than normal interest rates

Check with your CA and work something out

@bhavneet, your requirements justifies a diesel.

With 5.5L budget, i will suggest Figo diesel. Exi variant should be within that range.

However, if you can increase your budget by 1.25L then i would recommend Honda Amaze. Base EMT model should cost around 6.85 OTR in Delhi and comes with ABS.

But be ready for a 3-4 months waiting for diesel Amaze.

If increasing your budget is a strict NO-NO,In that case , why dont you subscribe to the idea of a CNG vehicle.

Will your company be paying the same amount if its a CNG vehicle , if yes , buy a WagonR CNG and the companys compensation would be enough to keep you happy for the whole month.

Also your NCR commutes will never let the CNG dry up in your tank as its now available freely.

Seriously thing over it.

Thank you all for your views, lets make this discussion a little simpler, assuming my monthly drive is 1500 Kms which is a better option and budget is a constraint, 5.50L is the max i can go. Swift Vxi is a safe bet?

Again, I would say this is not going to justify the KMS you are expected to run in a month. You need a diesel.

However, as you mentioned 5.5 L onroad. I would suggest two cars...diesel ones

Ritz Ldi...Ritz has always been a practical option to swift (which always has space issues). It comes with more room than swift from all the angles and a bigger boot as well. A tall boy stance gives you SUV like driving position. Maruti had tweaked its DDiS engine to deliver better NVH level and FE which MSIL as also introduced in Ritz as well. So new FE figures are 23 KMPL but you can easily get 18-19 KMPL with AC in city drive. Apart from this is a completely no frills car (PS, HVAC are standards) as this is base variant which could fit in your budget.

Figo Exi...Figo is another attractive option and will offer you its two variant - Lxi which is the base and the feature list as same as Ritz Ldi. But Exi is a level up variant and offers front PW as well. Figo has a ARAI certified FE figure of 20 KMPL but in a real world city driving you can get 15-16 KMPL easily. Besides this, Figo has best in AC cooling and also excellent driving dynamics (a La Ford).

However, Figo being a ford is suspiciously seen as expensive on the maintenance front. Though since it is not 5 year since its debut, so these are unknowns as yet. But for city drive, 1500 KMS do consider it.

These days both the cars are coming with attractive discounts...and being a buyer you should not hesitate to milk little extra on this front from dealer.

For 5-6L, Swift D is out of equation. Buy Ritz if you like, if not wait for Brio D that will be launched 4 months later.

For city driving, even Micra is good.

Neither Swift Ldi, Nor Micra Diesel base would come in your budget. BRIO could be a good bet...but you need to wait till OCT 2013.

If increasing your budget is a strict NO-NO,In that case , why dont you subscribe to the idea of a CNG vehicle.

Will your company be paying the same amount if its a CNG vehicle , if yes , buy a WagonR CNG and the companys compensation would be enough to keep you happy for the whole month.

Also your NCR commutes will never let the CNG dry up in your tank as its now available freely.

You can think of buying Wagon-R CNG, it is factory fitted best in class CNG option within well in your budget (in fact you will save 1 L), low on running big on space, there is no issue in pickup of the car when on CNG (i personally drove it). Long term maintenance of Wagon-R has always been on lower side.

As far as reimbursement is concerned. Indian IT Act allows fuel reimbursement of any fuel being legally sold in India, so your company can not deny CNG reimbursement and the amount will also be same i.e.800 PM.

Finally, I would highly recommend that you go to Maruti showroom and Ford and test drive each car one by one....as for Wagon-R, ask for CNG test drive to get a feel of it and share your opinion here on this board.

Happy TDs

Edited by Sstar

I am currently using santro cng, but this baby is now 7 years old so time to say bye bye to this, I would surely try figo and ritz today itself and get back with the feedback , thanks guys for all the help :)

Guys, i finalized swift diesel :) . I guess i'll be going for the base variants with power windows company fitted.

Did you book?

Btw...PW can not company fitted in Ldi. However, it will be MGA and will be fitter at dealer's location just before the delivery.

Figo & Swift both are good options.

But Swift will give you petrol like ride & driving pleasure but Figo is more budget & pocket friendly but it feels like a Diesel car & is a tad smaller size than Swift.

Nothing is better than Swift, if it fits in your budget & you get it in quick time, without much waiting.

You should try out Figo diesel.

Take a TD and feel the power churnign out of the 1.4 diesel. Plus, its economical, relatively cheaper than swift diesel and a good service network (as they are really focussed upon ASS).

But, if you have booked Swift diesel, it's not a bad option either.

^^

Figo can't be compared with Swift in power dept. The only advantage Figo have over Swift is Space, but Swift beats Figo in 100 other department.

Swift is the best diesel hatch in India with the 2 best miles behind, so congrats for buying the best.