dr_nishu

The Apps thread

Finally after Gadgets & Gizmos thread, i think we need a small fixed thread on this subject also which enables us to experience even the Best, different & new out of our existing gadgets.

post-67-0-23826100-1368961105_thumb.jpg

(Pics source: Google)

C'mon ACI-ians, please do share the apps, games or other related stuff, you use on your:

-Windows OS.

-Android.

-Apple iOS

operated Smartphones, Phablets, Tablets or other Smart electronic devices.

Distinct looking Screenshots of such useful apps are also welcomed.

Hey ,

Great idea , first of all tell me how did you take screenshots of the phone screen , i have a Sony and i know its possible to take screenshots on that , how did you manage it on a Samsung

Hey ,

Great idea , first of all tell me how did you take screenshots of the phone screen , i have a Sony and i know its possible to take screenshots on that , how did you manage it on a Samsung

By pressing the Side lock button & central menu button together for few seconds, for Samsung Android OS phones.

Might can happen in Sony Xperia by pressing its side lock key & Volume button together for few seconds.

I have the following apps on my LG Optimus One (P500) which is

a rooted device running Android 2.3.3 :

AdFree for blocking advertisements

AVG AntiVirus for AV protection

AP Temples for all info on temples of AP

Battery Notifier (Big) for batter status

Bluetooth File Transfer for bulk transfer of files via BT

Call Confirm for avoiding making calls by oversight

Citibank IN for my Citi bank transactions

Classic Bubble Breaker an addictive game

Dolphin Browser Mini the best browser, so far

Exchange Rates for the latest Forex rates

Fast Reboot for soft rebooting the device

File Manager the best file manager, so far

FlashLight for converting phone into a torchlight

FlowFree another addictive game

Folder Music Player the best music player

Free SMS India for sending free SMS

Free2SMS one more option to send free SMS

Gaana music portal

Gayatri Mantra devotional music

Hindu Calendar for tithi/nakshatra/rasi/phala etc.,

Link2SD for coverting a part of SDC into phone memory

Mahjong another addictive game

MemoWidget for storing data on your home screen/s

Moneycontrol investment guide

Music Folder Player the second best music player

Outlook Mail for my outlook mail

Pansi SMS the best SMS/Messaging alternative to stock option

QuickMark the best QR+Bar Code reader

RD Mute for muting (flip mode or jedi mode)

ROM Manager a must for rooted devices

Sri Venkatesa Supra.. devotional music

Smart Compass the best compass

SMS Popup SMS notifier

State Bank Freedom for my SBI transactions

Stopwatch & Timer the simple and best timer

Sudoku Free one more addictive game

Swiftkey the best keyboard

ThinkFree Office a small sized office pack

Titanium Backup a must for rooted devices

Tourist Language translater into multiple languages

TuneIn Radio the best online radio

Unit Converter the best unit converter

Voice Recorder for recording phone coversations

Yahoo Mail for my yahoo mail

You Tube for you tube stuff

zMooth Lite the best utility for avoiding hard keys

Makemytrip for booking train/air/bus tickets

Apart from these, I keep on testing at least 10 to 20 apps per week.

@doctor

That was a great help , i was trying to find an APP for it but after reading your post realised that it was built into the S4 or better still into Samsung Android OS itself

@rameshbabu

You explaining what each app does makes it so much easier than your last post on the other thread.

What does it mean when you say you have a ROOTED DEVICE i have heard this term a lot but cannot seem to make out what it really is.

Hey ,

Hey it is easy....you just need to swipe your palm on the screen from Left to Write....this the way I have done in iPhone 4 and in my Galaxy Grand too.

@rameshbabu

What does it mean when you say you have a ROOTED DEVICE i have heard this term a lot but cannot seem to make out what it really is.

Rooting is disabling the restrictions of the manufacturer on a particular mobile device. And, taking control of all the

hardware and software (meaning OS) functions as a superuser. This way, one can have absolute and full control on

all the functions of the hardware and the OS. By rooting a device, one can `change/modify/manupulate' any and almost

all functions. You can overclock the CPU, you can delete/uninstall unwanted applications, functions, features etc.,

For example, if the stock (default application of android) browser is not what I want, I cannot delete it if my device is not

rooted. Similarly, I can not make the CPU run at more than the set-level fixed by manufacturer. Nor can I delete/uninstall

all those apps which a manufacturer `bundles'.

By rooting, I can do all these small tasks and a lot more.

For example, I can take the entire backup of the mobile (the OS, the apps and all the user data).

And, I can replace the OS (android versions, kernels, builds and all the related stuff) and fine tune it.

Have a look at the attached image.

The way, I can do it on my PC. It is akin to getting the maximum out of the mobile in the exact way I want

it. (Not the way, in which the manufacturer wants me to use the mobile ...)

However, ROOTING IS NOT FOR NOVICES.

It is not what is easy. By rooting, the warranty goes for a toss. You are taking a big risk of `bricking' your

phone - meaning the phone becomes dead and useless - if the rooting is not done properly and systematically.

It is for those who has a lot of patience and technical inclination to learn new things and look beyond what the

manufacturer has given in a mobile (usually with a lot of restrictions and clipping the capabilities of the OS).

Originally my LG-P500 came with only Fryo OS (2.2.3). I have rooted the device and upgraded it to Gingerbread

(2.3.3). I have changed the build, kernel and the software version of the mobile. This helped me a lot in using

the same 4-year old LG-P500 instrument even with the latest applications. I am able to `extend' the `phone memory',

fine tune the CPU and partition the SD Card so that my obsolete (that's what my two sons call my mobile) mobile

is still fully functional and is always fast and furious. I shall be upgrading it again to JellyBean shortly. Doing some

experiments.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/lgp500aboutphone.jpg/

If you need further info, I am here to do the needful.

If you want to add a text box to your home screen, like what I did (see the attached image), you can use `MemoWidget’ app.

I have opted for a transparent background and keyed in all that text you see.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8233/lgp500homescreen.jpg

The bottom right most button (next to the calculator) is `Pansi SMS’, which is an excellent alternative to the stock Messaging option in Android. Try this app. It’s great.

@Rameshbabu

Great inputs as always, i am feeling like a mobile hacker myself after reading what you wrote.

So how far back this rooting goes, meaning i have a 4 year old Tab , running Android2.2 ,

It is from a company called Olive, which introduced a tab first time in India along side the US launch of the iPad, we dont use to get iPads in India back then.Its called an Olive Pad and costed a bomb then.

What can i do with it now ? Can i update its OS to the current one? what is the minimum system configuration required for the upgrade to current Android OS , if not Jelly Bean can i atleast move up to ICS.

I am willing to let this one Turn into a BRICK for the SAKE OF SCIENCE.

Also , who needs a new device if the old one can be upgraded to meet the newest app requirements.

@r.babu: Sir, you're great for exploring & exploiting your Android phone.

Keep us updated with such interesting bits of info.

@Sstar: That waving a hand over the screen is available in Samsung, after Grand Duos handsets range.

So how far back this rooting goes, meaning i have a 4 year old Tab , running Android2.2 ,

It is from a company called Olive, which introduced a tab first time in India along side the US launch of the iPad, we dont use to get iPads in India back then.Its called an Olive Pad and costed a bomb then.

What can i do with it now ? Can i update its OS to the current one? what is the minimum system configuration required for the upgrade to current Android OS , if not Jelly Bean can i atleast move up to ICS.

I am willing to let this one Turn into a BRICK for the SAKE OF SCIENCE.

Also , who needs a new device if the old one can be upgraded to meet the newest app requirements.

Upgrades from 2.3 to 4.0 is an easy transition for almost all the Android devices as the hardware compatibility needed for both is same but its much different for 2.1 or 2.2 to 2.3 transition due to hardware compatibility.

So, leave that brick to play for kids.

@Sstar: That waving a hand over the screen is available in Samsung, after Grand Duos handsets range.

Perhaps, but I have done this in iPhone 4, iPhone 4S (so I am sure it can be done with iPhone 5 as well) whereas on samsung devices....librankur has s4 with him as he recently bought...so I think he would be able to do this swipe and capture...

Btw..change the gtalk to Google Hangouts...it is google's new one-stop-shop messaging app available on Play Store. :)

WAVING A HAND OVER SCREEN

This feature can be enabled on all devices which have a `proximity sensor' - this is a sensor

next to the earpiece. If you place the phone closer to the ear, the phone senses the same

and cuts off the display, thus saving battery.

Many apps use this feature to activate/deactivate (or start/stop or able/disable) something.

In `RD Mute' app, for example, this feature is activated so that you can `mute' an incoming

call by placing your hand (or anything) over the sensor. It is called - Jedi feature. Or, you

can also mute the call if you place the phone facing down.

My 4-year old LG P500 is using this feature since the beginning.

So, saying that this feature was started by Samsung through their Grand Duos series is wrong.

Any phone with the proximity sensor can have the Jedi Feature enabled.

Olive Pad ...

I am willing to let this one Turn into a BRICK for the SAKE OF SCIENCE...

Good that your interest in `rooting' (or hacking, as you say) is making you itch for experimenting with Olive Pad.

I think, it must be VT-100 model. One of the very first appearances on the tab-arena. If it is so, you are lucky.

It can be rooted and upgraded. That's the good news.

Now, the bad news.

You need to know much more than what I had posted earlier, which was only an introducer's remarks. I strongly

suggest you join the forum http://forum.xda-developers.com and start to know what is this all about. You may need

a week or two to understand (reasonably well) and gather the tools that are needed to do the job.

Please remember that what works on one device may not work on a similar device because the embedded OS,

kernel, build and versions might vary from batch to batch of the same make and model of a device.

So, tread cautiously and get as much info and tools as possible before you tinker with it.

Get info from more than one source and read the contents thoroughly. A small mistake or a mis-step

may result in the device becoming a brick. Be careful. OK ?

There are more than a handful of forums for such stuff. But, I personally found that xda-developers.com is the

best.

All the best

@ rameshbabu

You are spot on , it is VT100 ,it had its hay days , back then there were full front page ads in newspapers much like the iPhone and Samsung EMI ads we see in newspapers now, at that time also it came with 3G , most Tabs even today dont come with 3G. , Though even now 3G services are highly questionable in Delhi.

Yes i will surely get into the HACKING MODE now , will devote some more time on those websites.

I find all this waving too much gimmicky

@ Sstar

Yes Talk recently automatically got updated to Hangout

Just wondering what would be the alternative to Whatsapp once it becomes paid.

Yes , S4 will turn everyone into magicial for sure , there is so much waving involved.

@ Sstar

Just wondering what would be the alternative to Whatsapp once it becomes paid.

Yes , S4 will turn everyone into magicial for sure , there is so much waving involved.

WhatsApp will be just......................................WhatsApp... ;)

Hello people,

I would really bee thankful if you could help me with some good iphone apps too. I am an Apple fan ( Currently have an iPhone 4S) but thinking of switch over to Samsung because Apple is showing ageing marks now !

Till then, can you please help me some apps and ways to make my phone more interesting ?

Thank you

Hi,

I own a HTC one and one of the most frequent apps i use is Tasker for automating.

Its a wonderful app and really showcases the features of Android

eg: When I am at home, connected to Wi-Fi network, my keyguard is automatically switched off. It Switches on again after I leave home.

Another profile I use is SMS my wife when I leave office automatically so that she knows I am on my way home.

Its a wonderful app if you like to Automate your phone.

Apaprt from Tasker, I use Unified Remote to remotely control my Laptop over a WiFi connection.

@Rameshbabu,

Yeah, the XDA site is pretty amazing. I had modded the hell out of my Sony X8 using the tutorials on XDA.

Cheers!