akmekm

New Hyundai i20 - any drawbacks?

Hello

I had done a test drive on i20 Diesel yesterday and found okay with it. Before going further would like to ask you regarding some drawbacks?. Does any body here feels any uncomfortable incidents with this vehicle?. What is the Ground Clearance of this, i actually forgot to ask. Nothing found in Hyundai web page also.

Please let me know your positives and negatives of this vehicle.

Thanks

Which variant are you going for ?

In todays HT delhi Edition there is an AD by Maruti pitching its SWIFT against i20, it all depends on what are you keen on.

GC: i20 is 165mm as compared to Swifts 170

Hi akmekm

I have got an i20 about a month and a half back. I have got the I20 Sportz petrol version. As far as the drawbacks are concerned, I have faced none. I am quite happy with it. The engine is good though it takes a little time to kick in at low speeds but that is fine because it is still in it's running in period. Otherwise the car is great. It is really fun to drive in the slightly upper rev range. It provides you with everything, great driving pleasure, good music system, boot space and luxury feel !

As far as the ground clearance is concerned, I have some uneven roads in my area due to the new cemented roads being built, and the car is absolutely comfortable in those patches of road, whereas I am sure swift's ride won't be that comfortable being a lighter car and not so good suspension.

Best of luck for your new car !

Completely agree with Nishu! Hyundai has increased the cost of spares and service across its models drastically. Do ask for a spare parts price list from the dealer. In case the dealer shares the same with you (which seems highly unlikely), please do share it in the forum as well for the benefit of other buyers and users of the vehicle. I would suggest that you test drive the Swift as well before you finally take the plunge. Happy Buying!

The question should be slightly tweaked,

Is there anything good in i20?

Let me list out its minuses now,

1. Boat like handling

2. Cart like ride

3. AC effective only in winter

4. Expensive maintenance( no repair, mostly replace)

5. Steering might start rattle anytime

6. Dash might reflect on windshield on sunny days.

I am always against of buying Korean and American cars since i felt they may withdraw products any time.Even i recommended Satro,i10 and Verna to my neighbors but never felt same feeling to any other models of Hyundai.It is really surprise to see the sales figure of i20 which is constantly finding 7k to 8k customers every month.

Even though it is diesel...but i20 diesel mileage is like 15 KMPL in city (like delhi traffic)...whereas swift would easily give 19KMPL+

Expensive to maintain

Spares

Going purely by sales figures of premium hatch this calender year.

Polo down 5 % in demand

Swift down 6 %

Liva down 28 %

Figo down 38%

Micra down 62%

Your i20 the only exception with a 19% rise in demand

Choose wisely now.

Source: an auto sales analyst, my acquaintance

i20 is really much better option as compared to maruti swift, volkswagon polo, micra , liva and figo.

the car has better pick up as compared to its main rival maruti swift plus its GC is 165mm that makes it stick to the ground at sharp turns and much stable while driving at high speeds.

the main thing that uplift i20 over all the above competitors is its interiors that are much upgraded as compared to that of swift, micra figo and liva.

as compared to engine capacity polo and liva are good as i20 but aftersales maintainace of polo is much costlier as compared to that of i20.

swift is easy on pocket with lower maintaince cost but that can be beared with upgraded i20 !!!

Poor Handling.

Expensive maintenance.

Expensive Spare parts.

Not so easy to drive as it rivals.

Wrong. You have to try the vehicle before advising someone.

It is the only available luxury hathback below the mercedes A class. There is nothing in between. With the indian greed to have more, hatchbacks dont find too much of space. We will not on any day get the fiesta hatch, i30 or even the sx4 hatch. The i20 is the best possible luxury hatch with maximum features that we can buy in India. It is an absolutely refined car with ample power. Both petrol and diesel. The petrol is one of the quietest and the diesel is more powerful than the Maruti's and is in the league of punto 90 and Vista 90. Will be a great buy.

Swift 19kmpl in Delhi city??? Joke!

I don't know why you feel it is a Joke. But points to note here are that mileage has lot of dependence on your car's condition, your driving habbits as well, payload, outside temperature, traffic conditions. So it is not alone traffic which can be accused for poor mileage of your car.

New Swift has a 23 KMPL ARAI certified mileage figures. So I'm sure people can easily get at least 18+ KMPL in Delhi city traffic conditions.

My 15 Month old Ritz gives 17 KMPL in summers and 20+ KMPL in winters in Delhi traffic conditions considering that it has previous generation DDiS diesel engine with 21 KMPL ARAI certified mileage figures.

Edited by Sstar

We members just don't try any car, but we rip(safely) and we know what a car is and what it can handle much better than an Aam Junta. Thats why we never suggest a Hyundai. We are not old age people who just sit at the back seat and enjoy beige interiors, we are hard core car lovers.

i20 can be so good, but that should be from Hyundai's POV. In ours, its the worst. Fiat Punto is far better than i20 barring its interiors, that being said, New Swift is the best overall package & i20 is the worst overall package in the country.

It is the only available luxury hathback below the mercedes A class.

Ecosport? Fabia?

Edited by creativebala

I am using the i20 since April 2012 (bought it a week after it was launched). Has been more than 1 year, but have found no major drawbacks in the car. The only drawback would be a "not so quick pickup" - although pretty nice for city driving.

- AC cools pretty fast (I disagree with some posts in this thread about the AC performance)

- Pretty spacious ( both legroom and the boot)

- Very comfortable

- I feel proud to own it !

I agree with jalajmathur..Even I have I-Gen I20 VTVT petrol sports variant and bought its after its launch.Iam enjoying and happy with the performance of the car.Its been 1 year now.Only drawback is pickup in 2nd grear is bit lagging but later it picksup slowly that be be engine is tuned like that to increase milage.Comfort is uncomparable with other hatchback cars in this segment.Petrol engine is good,refined.I am driving it in rough roads /mud roads in himachal and this car is perfect for such road condictions good road grip and smooth ride.

No other hatchback is that much successful in hilly roads only Hyundai and maruti.However Maruti has drabacks that vechile starts shaking in high speeds.

Hyundai I20-

-Good road clearence and road grip.

-Decent pickup.

-Ride is comfirtable.

-Good Car for complete family

Maruti-

-Not so good road grip-

-vechile will start shaking in high speed.

-Good pickup.

-Ride is uncomfirtable.

-Driver centric cars ignorning the comfort zone of rear passangers.

Tata-

-Pickup is good.

-Ride quality is not ok,engine is noisy.

-Worst interiors

VW-

-no so good road clearence (fit for city ride).

-worst dashboard and interior design for such car.

-engine is good.

Fait-

-worst dashboard and interior design for such car.

-engine is good.

Honda-

-interiors are not so good.

-engine is good.

So, overall the I20 is fit for my road condictions.

It is the only available luxury hathback below the mercedes A class. There is nothing in between. With the indian greed to have more, hatchbacks dont find too much of space. We will not on any day get the fiesta hatch, i30 or even the sx4 hatch. The i20 is the best possible luxury hatch with maximum features that we can buy in India. It is an absolutely refined car with ample power. Both petrol and diesel. The petrol is one of the quietest and the diesel is more powerful than the Maruti's and is in the league of punto 90 and Vista 90. Will be a great buy.

Yours explanations didn't answers anything relevant to my stated points above.

i20 is having its own set of positives but as asked we've to stated its negatives here, so i did.

We members just don't try any car, but we rip(safely) and we know what a car is and what it can handle much better than an Aam Junta. Thats why we never suggest a Hyundai. We are not old age people who just sit at the back seat and enjoy beige interiors, we are hard core car lovers.

i20 can be so good, but that should be from Hyundai's POV. In ours, its the worst. Fiat Punto is far better than i20 barring its interiors, that being said, New Swift is the best overall package & i20 is the worst overall package in the country.

Ecosport? Fabia?

+1

Sorry for not seeing this thread .

I have an i20 D since 4 years now and am amongst the 1st buyers of the diesel varient 2009 model. I have completed 35k kms and the span of 4 years and I have been on long trip till Kochi and Agra from Mumbai and longest ones covering more than 1000kms in 14 hrs . All I can say is that I am more than happy with this car . Yes Hyundai has now tuned greedy with service and I once got a bill of 7k for regular service (moreso in Mumbai the service is expensive). Nowadys I fill Synthetic oil from local service station and it works out 5.5k for oil,filter & fuel filter change and regular greasing etc; With mineral oil it will be 2k less.

i20 is selling well because its the whole package which complements itself so better than the competition. The space inside is really good that when looking for replacement car in the 11-12 lakhs sedan I was dissappointed (especially with headroom on rear seats I am 6'1").

i20 has relatively poor direction change no doubt about it but on highway on straight its not so bad (I think the wheelbase is the longest in segment) . The steering is something one get used to after drive for a couple of months and for a city dweller its a god-send gift.

While I like the Swift the new one didn't impress me (atleast not to my expectation) on interiors rest the package is good and its a Maruti (a name of trust). But since last year the Swift needs fully synthetic oil and the serivce costs work to almost 7k for it too . Please cross check this with the dealer . Also plese don't buy the i20 P (no offense) the engine is too puny for the car and it will have tough time climbing flyovers fully loaded . There are other better packages in Petrol like Ritz etc.