Hi,

I am looking to buy an SUV and have a budget of around 8-9 lacs. I had almost finalised buying a Duster owing to its proven performance and a number of awards but the imminent launch of Ford Ecosport has now confused me.

On researching, I have found a number of pros and cons but I am not sure on which car to finalise.

Here are my observations:

Ford:

The Ecosport boosts of an award winning petrol Ecoboost engine. But if I am getting an SUV, I should get a diesel engine, right? (My daily commute is around 40-45 km). The Ford does boast of a number of gadgets and a fresh design...

Duster:

Duster has a proved performance record and is capable of delivering. It has a wider rear space and more boot space (which is essential for my wife ;) ). It has a classic and rugged look rather than the different Ford design.I have also read in a review that the diesel engine of the Duster is much better than the diesel one in Ecosport.

I am a bit inclined towards buying Duster as a bigger rear space is more important to me. However, I would love to hear your suggestions / opinions and take an informed decision.

Also, are the above observations correct? What other factors should I consider?

Thanks.

post-32342-0-66394300-1370926536.jpg

While the Duster is already enjoying success in the market, I would say wait and TD the Ecosport as well. I had a brief drive of the Ecosport diesel and was quite impressed. Though I must say it does have the presence of the Duster. The Duster looks just that more macho.

The interior quality of the Ecosport is better than tha Duster any day though. Did you read Autocar's comparo of the cars yet?

Here is the link: Ecosport & Duster comparo

Thanks for sharing the link.. read it. Of course I'll have to take a test drive of both. The rear window of the Duster looks a bit bigger.. but interior of Ecosport definately has its advantages.

One issue I have is that the rear door of Ecosport opens OUTWARDS.. rather than up. This will mean that I will not be able to park the car facing the street if I have to open the rear door. I wonder why Ford went with this design.

Ahh... looks like I'll have to research even deeper before making a final decision.

One more thing.. sorry for the double post.

Since you have had a drive of the Ecosport, can you confirm if the rear of the Ecosport is actually smaller than Duster? Will 3 people behind be a tight fit? A number of reviews mentioned that 5 in Ecosport will be a tight fit when compared to Duster. Can you pls confirm that?

Thanks

Mr Pillai nice research about both cars. Ford does have some advantages in the petrol version but if you are buying a diesel one then I will say go for Duster. The specs of its diesel variants speak for themselves. Personally, I own a Duster (110 ps diesel RXL) myself. So I will take the liberty of telling you that, 5 people in a Duster is a thumbs up and the rear seating space is definitely more in Duster. More so, the boot space is also an added advantage. So I am sure your wife will be a happy shopper and traveler ;)

@ MaheshS

We all would like a detailed duster review from you in the appropriate section. Had you mentioned this on your introduction i would have asked you there itself.Really excited now that you are on our board.

One issue I have is that the rear door of Ecosport opens OUTWARDS.. rather than up. This will mean that I will not be able to park the car facing the street if I have to open the rear door. I wonder why Ford went with this design.

The tail gate which opens outwards is actually better than the one which opens upwards. Just think of a situation where you park your car and go shopping and upon coming back, find another butch SUV like a Fortuner parked tightly behind your car. In such a scenario, the outward opening tail gate would actually be better as it would still allow you to open it partially and try and keep things inside. I can say so as I have personally experienced this shortcoming in my Innova whose tail gate opens upwards. As for which car to choose between an Ecosport and a Duster, I would suggest that you wait for the Ecosport to launch and take a test drive of both the cars. We all have different driving habits and its not necessary a case of one size fits all. Both are good cars and I am sure you would be able to better make up your mind once you have driven both the machines. Happy Buying!

Definitely Duster is more wider, lengthier however, Interior quality of Duster is nothing infront of EcoSport. Also, EcoSport pertrol 1L EcoBoost engine is gem though it has to prove itself in Indian market as well but if you would like to go for a petrol (which you should as your daily run is not qualifying for a diesel at all) then this should be your choice. It has a 125 PS of power and 205 (or may be more not sure here) NM of torque which is well suited for city commuting.

As far as boot space is concerned. Duster has an edge here with a mammoth 400+ Ltr. of boot but EcoSport is also not far behind. However, EcoSport boot door opens from right to left which is opposite from Indian perspective but it does make sense as normally when we park a car we want to make sure at least driver side has enough room for driver to climb in the cabin to start the car and same applies to boot door as well because it would be easier for driver to quickly grab the boot door handle and open it and put the stuff inside.

Sitting 3 people on the rear in Duster or EcoSport will not make much of the difference as both the SUVs are little crampped on rear leg room. However, if you feel leg room in Duster is crampped then you would feel it same in EcoSport for sure too as Duster has marginally better leg room for second row passengers.

Diesel EcoSport Vs Duster - I think though the EcoSport is gonna be around 90 PS where as Duster has two options as 87 and 110 PS in diesel version, but I would say it all depends on drivability of a diesel car rather than PS/BHP. For example - Figo which as just 69 PS in comparison to Swift 75 still drives equally well.

Personally speaking, i own a diesel and I feel it is based on individual to individual and drivability is the factor while picking up a diesel rather than horses.

However, EcoSport diesel would be i think 50K to 1L cheaper than duster (this is just my opinion, final pricing still to come.) which makes it perfect VFM product.

My opinion, EcoSport at this moment.

Overall, I would suggest, TD both the SUVs one-after-one to get the exact feel of each one and whichever makes you feel good, go for it.

Edited by Sstar

@Mahesh, thanks bro. It is always helpful to get review from someone who actually owns a car. And seeing that you are satisfied with your Duster, it'll be a factor when I finally buy..Looking forward to your review..

@Hersch: I get your point. But in my case, and I am sure that there are many ppl like me, the wider radius that the rear door needs for opening is simple inhibiting. Particulalry if the garage is small (height is not a problem) But of course, a test drive will be taken! :)

@SStar: Yeah, I noticed, the boot space is larger in Duster. I am not sure whether this is true or not.. but on seeing the images, I think that the driver visibility will be better in Duster. I am of course, just commenting based on images.. Regarding the price, since a car is a one time buy, I gladly spend a bit more one time rather than eternally thinking - 'what if..'

Overall, I am inclined more towards Duster as I somehow like the rugged-classy look you associate with an SUV. And it does help that it is roomier..

Ford on the other hand, looks a bit sleeker but I am not a fan of its front grille

@SStar: Yeah, I noticed, the boot space is larger in Duster. I am not sure whether this is true or not.. but on seeing the images, I think that the driver visibility will be better in Duster. I am of course, just commenting based on images.. Regarding the price, since a car is a one time buy, I gladly spend a bit more one time rather than eternally thinking - 'what if..'

Overall, I am inclined more towards Duster as I somehow like the rugged-classy look you associate with an SUV. And it does help that it is roomier..

Ford on the other hand, looks a bit sleeker but I am not a fan of its front grille

The Duster boot is indeed way bigger than that of EcoSport so you can trust on this in closed eye as well. And as far as your inclination towards Duster is concerned, frankly speaking I like it too and I agree 100% with you that a car is long run investment so one should not hesitate to expand the budget if you could.

Go for Duster. However, just wait for some time as it seems like Ranualt may bring in some fancy schemes / discounts or offers when EcoSport would finally be on the roads. Keep in mind that in May 2013 Scorpio has again out numbered Duster in terms of sales and grabbed the no. 1 slot which it once lost to Duster in initial days of Duster's launch.

So my guess is that when competition is hot and new products are on offer, schemes/discounts/offers are the way to lure customers.

Happy Shopping.

Heard that Ford is going to price the EcoSport very competitively, nearly from Rs.6 lacs for base petrol & the same for Duster goes upto Rs.8 lacs+, so Rs.2 lacs of difference is seriously a healthy amount to decide upon the fuel choice(based upon your driving/month) than blindly going in for Diesel, as the fuel costs cheaper.

Regarding Interior Space, both are not known for it. These are just known for their SUV-like look & feel. Just check them out thoroughly & go for that one in which you feels comfortable & that makes you comfortable with its features & pricing.

As Simple as it sounds :)

Goodluck.

With your budget of 8-9L, Renault could give you only bare basic slow couch.

My preferred choice for your budget will be a decent spec'd Ecosport Diesel.

This is true. Duster base Diesel would be available in 8-9 Lac of rupees whereas EcoSport (as expected) would be more price competitive and feature rich as well.

Heard that Ford is going to price the EcoSport very competitively, nearly from Rs.6 lacs for base petrol & the same for Duster goes upto Rs.8 lacs+, so Rs.2 lacs of difference is seriously a healthy amount to decide upon the fuel choice(based upon your driving/month) than blindly going in for Diesel, as the fuel costs cheaper.

Another good point to consider as these days it is making more sense to have a good fuel efficient petrol car rather than blindly going in for a diesel.