Rajeevraj

Zen Vibration at speeds >100kmph?

Hi Folks,

I have a 2004 model Zen LXI which i recently bought(2nd hand). I really loved the car and its ride. Last weekend i took it for my first long trip which was a weekend drive from Bangalore to Chennai.

Well.. as you know thats a super 4 lane highway and u can really go at any speed you want to. Since it was the first long ride in the Zen i pushed it past 100kmph. But i noticed that after it crosses around 100-110kmph i noticed the car seemed to start vibrating and was not very smooth? Any particular reason for this? There was no problem in the ride but i did not attempt to push it further than that.

Any particular reason this vibration can occurr? The vehicle has run around 45000 but has new tyres and was serviced coupleof weeks before.

Oh and another thing. I was pleasantly suprised to see that i got a higway milage of around 18-19kmpl with AC over the duration of the trip. In Bngalore city i hardly get 12 :(

Thanks,

Rajeev

Thanks FRG. No Alloy Wheels. One thing i forgot to mention is that the front 2 tyres are new and the rear 2 are little older. Could that also contribute to it? I bought the car from True Value and although i told him to replace all tyres he said he could replace only the rear 2 which were fully worn out. The front 2 were pretty good. But now its a situation where 2 are brand new and 2 are half worn out.

Ideally you should replace all the four tyres together. Where do you feel the vibrations, in the steering wheel? If you have standard rims, then it is most likely a balancing issue. You'll probably observe that the vibrations disappear after 120kmph. Ensure you check all the wheel nuts before you try to go fast.

FRG

FuelRunGod2008-01-21 12:10:15

ya i feel it in the steering also.. but generally the whole car seems to be shaking slightly. Its not that bad. but enough to disturb the smoothness.

The wheels have wheel caps also.. Nuts i suppose they check during servicing.which i did 2-3 weeks back and had specifically told i am going to take it for a long drive..

Improper wheelcaps can also cause vibrations. Get the wheels balanced and it should sort itself out.

FRG

Indeed FRG these after market wheelcaps are plasticky and of cheap quality. They are the ones that make the most noise while on the highways especially when one cruises > 100kmph.

For the wobbling if the tyres, wheel balancing problems don't solve the issue the front axle balance rod and the bushes can also be checked.

We had a 1997 Zen. Coming from Gwalior to Etawah we went through a bad pothole at some speed - ~60kph. The car immediately developed a vibration in the 95 -110 kph band. We ended up rebalancing the wheels, which also did not work totally. So we moved the offending wheel to the rear. Long term solution will be to change the rim.

You have exactly the same problem. You may need rim straightening/ replacement.

Thanks folks. I'll do the wheel balancing first. I remember when i bought my first car from truevalue (an M800) they did give me a wheel balancing report aliong with documents. That they did not give with the Zen. I also forgot to ask that :(

For balancing go to a tyre vendor who also does balancing. They do a far netter job than normal garages.

I suggest you should balance wheels about once a year if you do about 10k a year

sgiitk2008-01-22 08:57:26

Yeah...agree totally with sgiitk  all Maruti cars have this problem once you go over a pothole or a bump etc...mine also dlvped a similar thing...have replaced the rim with the spare (but remember to mark it with paint so that they dont get mixed up during rotation etc...) as my vehicle is only driven within the city or better still replace it if u do highways.