PrancingHorse

Scoop: Nissan Terrano prices to start at Rs. 8.9 lakhs. EDIT: Unveil on 30th August 2013

post-7692-0-07610600-1371711784.jpg

Nissan will launch the Terrano SUV in October . The Japanese automaker will price the Nissan Terrano starting at Rs. 8.90 lakhs (ex-showroom, Delhi). The Terrano will be offered with a 1.5-litre diesel engine only and no petrol powered Terrano will be launched. Nissan has seen the poor demand for the petrol Duster and has decided not to bring a petrol powered Terrano. The picture you see above is the official studio shot of the Nissan Terrano, yes it doesn’t resemble the sketch which Nissan released recently.

Nissan will use the tagline “As solid as you” for the Terrano. The company will offer all variants of the Terrano with driver side airbag as standard, something which it does on its other cars as well. The Nissan Terrano will be offered in four variants which are XL, XL (O), XV and XV premium. The 1.5-litre diesel engine produces 85 PS of power and 200 Nm of torque, mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. This engine gives the Terrano an ARAI mileage of 20.5 km/l.

The difference between the Nissan Terrano and Renault Duster will be purely cosmetic. The changes include smoked headlights, new front grille, new bumper, new alloy wheels and new tail lights. On the inside, Nissan will give the Terrano minor changes which will be limited to the seat fabric. The base variant of the diesel Duster (RxE) is priced at Rs. 8.73 lakhs (ex-showroom, Delhi) and thus the premium which Nissan is charging is Rs. 17,000/- on the base trim. However the premium will vary depending on the variants and one can expect it to increase on higher variants.

Could this be the real price? Hope Nissan provides better equipment than the Duster to justify the higher price. What do you think?

Source: Motorbeam

This terrano cant b called a game changer, as duster, an initiative low grade suv hasn't got a good market, what it has got is just because of looks but a practical thinker will always rely on toyata, mahindra, and tata for beeter utility because, by spending 1-2 lacs, he would get. A top notch starter suvs like safari, scorpio, innova and this low grade suv duster is impractical will get an alternative too the nissan teranno, which fact will only degrade the market for both. The terrano and duster are impractical because thry stand between the market of proper hatchbacks and starter classic suvs, in short they dont offer any practicality and with 1.5 lt. Engine isnt cost worthy

I was expecting too much from Terrano but it is all in vain, they are just going to swap off Renualt badge, smoke the headlamps, inflate the price and there we go, another badge engineered crap with near identical face, let alone mechanicals and design.

Guys remember the XUV story which said "looks are very important" and for a guy for whom duster did not work because of its bland looks Terrano might just be the perfect recipe..... and yes all the goodies (some even better) from the top end variant can be installed in base variant for a fraction of the price you pay additional for the top end variant........and you can have a killer SUV.......I might just go for the Terrano

Will be interesting to see if the Terrano eats into Duster sales.

Still a win-win situation for Renault-Nissan, cumulative sales will add up.

Also I think, the better equipped of the two may just about trump in sales. Though it remains to be seen what additional kit the Nissan variant gets & do the consumers aspire for those features.

Nissan is known for its Diesel engines & its SUVs(since Jonga). So, definitely it'll be having an edge over Renault & its Duster, which was having its poor public perception due to fizzled Logan. Only Mahindra brand association worked in favour of Renault interms of building trust with the customers.

Terrano will be born in India with Nissan's image & Duster's proven legacy. So, i think people won't mind paying 50-60k extra over Duster for additional features & Nissan badge.

It's provisional diagnosis is threaten abortion due Ford incompatibility deficency factor. It's need urgent Imunoglobin INR to reduce the price otherwise disease will take its own course and ultimate it will die before birth. In short Nissan revise your golden 4p principal of marketing; Product, Place, Price and Promotion. All the best Nissan.

6000 bookings is a very decent no to start with for a Nissan product here. Next 2 -3 months would be interesting as to whether it cannibalizes Duster's sale or takeaway some cancellations from Ecosport.

Even after 6000 pre bookings, i think eventually the total sales of Duster as of today will get divided between the two, with marginal overall sales improvement.

Between Nissan - Renault, sales of the borrower have been lower (Micra outsold Pulse, Sunny outsold Scala).

So in this case also Duster might still outsell Terrano in numbers as it's little cheaper and they already have offers going with it due to pressure from competition.

I just hope the Nissan Terrano beats the 'Hatchback on Steroids', meaning the Ford EcoSport!!

I loved the EcoSport when i saw it first on TV, but the moment i saw it on the streets, its small size was a big turn-off for me.

The recent price rise further fuelled my dislike towards it (this is my personal opinion).

Renault's Duster never had the looks or the right equipments to take Ford's EcoSport head on, but Nissan's Terrano does!!

I know it won't be an easy task for the Terrano to match up to the huge success of the EcoSport, but i still hope it does.

• @ Shashank_GTO

I agree with you completely. I too loved the Ecosport when I saw it on magazine pages and media... but was rather disappointed when I saw it in the flesh. I have owned the Maruti Swift previously, and seriously I felt both the cars felt so similar in character. The fact is that the Ecosport is essentially a hatch on high heels. I have already owned four different hatchbacks and the interiors felt no different. Even the boot space didn't impress me so much.

I have liked the Renault Duster for its no-nonsense approach, it delivers where it really counts. All the fancy gadgets don't make up for a car's basic requirements. When they are projecting the Ecosport as an "SUV", space is what matters most! I think the Ecosport is much of a poser. But what is undeniable is that it really has the potential to snatch all the customer base from the basic Ford Figo or the swanky Swift, to mid-size saloons like even the Honda City and much larger cars like the Duster/Terrano and even the XUV 500. That explains the long waiting list.

The Terrano has really impressed me, and Nissan has done a good job for making such an appealing product from a rather ugly duckling. All the aesthetic changes are well executed and complement each other well. But I am still disappointed that it is is still nowhere near the drawings that were released earlier!

I had test-driven the Ecosport, and my response was rather luke-warm although it looked as a concept straight from an Auto Expo. The Terrano has fixed the weakness of the Duster - the visual flair and it retains all the goodness. The Ecosport may seem "cheap" for now... I feel that it is already overpriced for what it is... and they have announced that the current prices are "introductory". I feel that this will close the gap between the Ecosport and the Terrano. And surprisingly enough, Nissan has a better sales/service base than Renault. Ultimately the accountants at Renault/Nissan would have the last laugh, but its really amazing how badge-engineering can trick us to believe that its totally a new car!

Terrano may not have got overwhelming response like say Ecosport or XUV or Duster for that matter, but if Nissan can stay with the current pricing for a longer duration of say 6- 8 months (and assuming that Ecosport will further increase prices during this time) plus their dealer can service the walk-ins properly then it might just be able to build up good average monthly volume of about 3500 - 4000, which in my opinion would be good.

IMO car looks great in black interior and the silver finishing adds a nice contrast to the interior.

I recently test drove the Terrano at the showroom was impressed with the ride quality but NVH was less and also there are many ergonomic flaws with the vehicle.

The new power window switched always hit my knee and the foot well is cramped really couldn't find a place to rest my left leg (my foot is 12 size),also the plastics ain't of great quality that I am used to in Hyundai.

That looks good with the Black interiors. And yes that looks classy. Would love to see it here too

Agree with rrsh, the quality of plastics is not that good. There are some areas where the makers need to work out.