katalysm76

Alternative Fuels

Everyone knows that the sheiks' oil wont last forever.All we can do is hope that someone comes up with a better alternative before we use up all the oil for getting from a to b without using it for other more useful purposes.I think the hydrogen cell is the most promising alternative fuel source.What do you guys think.

I remember reading about a car run completely on ethanol.does anyone have any info on that?

Brazil has (I think) 80%+ alcohol vehicles. The main problem is that in terms of energy density petro-fuels are difficult to match. Alcohol has a lower energy content hence you need (crudely) a bigger fuel tank to get the same range.

Once you cross 15% normal engines have to be modified for alcohol.

electric vehicles for sure are good.....but hope they come with some good looking models a s well..the REVA is a bold step taken by the indian company, but its priced too high( i know they talk about technology and all that)but its not inducing buyers to buy ...

electric vehicles for sure are good.....but hope they come with some good looking models a s well..the REVA is a bold step taken by the indian company' date=' but its priced too high( i know they talk about technology and all that)but its not inducing buyers to buy ...[/quote']

Do you think we have reliable electricity to charge them. Where do we have the juice, there are shortages everywhere excpet possibly Himanchal & Uttarakhand?

Also, one thing being neglected all over is the battery replacement problem. After four to five years ......

sgiitk2008-01-25 04:29:46

E5 petrol is already being tested in some states of India. E5 petrol means it has 5% ethanol content in it. For such an amount, no extra modification is required to the engine. Only when the percentage goes higher, do things need a check - rubber/plastic parts, fuel lines which can deteriorate due to ethanol.

FRG

Thats right. But I don't think its the same for all cars' date=' some cars may have issues with E10 also. It depends on the type of materials used.[/quote']

Our govt. is assuming all cars are E10 ready, since it has been trying to legislate E10 as mandatory in UP, Maharashtra, etc.

But then they switched 100% to unleaded knowing fully well than old cars may have engine damage without  lead.

sgiitk2008-01-26 15:43:42

I herewith request all the CNG car owners/drivers to come together and let us form a group where we can share our problems-experiences with each other.There is one group who does this but that works more as a syndicate.Let us form a GROUP not the syndicate.go to: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cngv/

linesh_tshah@yahoo.com

+919825534242
+919428577699