PrancingHorse

Pics: Nissan Terrano spotted testing in Chennai EDIT: Now unveiled

I've liked the rear changes. Front of the Duster is not bad, clean & simple, while this has more dash of chrome.

There with PH on Interiors part, lot hinges on these, specially considering that Duster received quite some flak for interiors.

Nissan unveiled the Terrano today at an event in Mumbai. What is basically a rebadged Duster, there are differences in the looks. The grille carries the typical grille which I have seen on the Pathfiner and the Patrol SUVs. Interior also looks better finished and those alloys are one of the best OEM wheels I have seen in recent times. Pre booking will start from 1st Sept and Nissan is claiming a sub 10 lakh price. Exact pricing will be known later and deliveries will start before Diwali. Here are some pictures I took of the Terrano at the event

post-7692-0-99709200-1376993832_thumb.jppost-7692-0-30457400-1376993842_thumb.jppost-7692-0-38663400-1376993852_thumb.jppost-7692-0-49208000-1376993862_thumb.jppost-7692-0-29538900-1376993871_thumb.jppost-7692-0-46708100-1376993880_thumb.jppost-7692-0-41714900-1376993891_thumb.jppost-7692-0-24830400-1376993900_thumb.jppost-7692-0-27203800-1376993910_thumb.jppost-7692-0-65029800-1376993919_thumb.jp

Looks better than Duster. But the big question is whether it will get a similar response in the market. if Duster + Terrano can hold on to 5000 nos per month consistently then both Renault and Nissan should be happy, given the kind of competition Ecosport has provided.

is there any performance improvement expected in Terrano ?.

@UVian

yes it surely looks better than the Duster. Apart from the cosmetic changes, there is nothing else. Performance levels will be the same. It will be interesting to see how the Terrano fares because the Duster has taken a hit thanks to the Ecosport

It took an year for the Duster to remove the AC tower in the middle and here comes the Terrano with the same thing.

Bookings start in Sept .

Nissan say every panel is new except the roof and rear quarter panel.

A looker for sure ,though i like the rear more than its front.

Personally, the front look of Duster still seems better than Terrano.

Though, rear of Terrano looks better, somehow resembles Force One SUV.

Sales will depend on how much premium Nissan asks over Duster.

Eventually i feel total sales will get distributed amongst Duster/Terrano with not too much gain overall.

The 4*4 option on the Duster has been waiting in the wings for a while now.

I guess Renault will wait and watch and if they find TERRANO making a lot of buzz in its initial bookings they will make their next move.A few thousand in discounts and they can easily spoil the party for the new launch.

That not happening, they might not move at all.

Terrano is the car which duster ought to be in the first place given its pricing. After all its a Dacia and is available for 8 grand (8 lakhs approx) in UK market adding bells and whistles and R&D costs it shouldn't have cost more than 10 lakhs in the 1st place for top model. Now Nissan should have already have the Terrano in the showrooms (I don't know why manufacturer nowadays are showing preview ala Grand i10 ,Octiva and now this) its already too late for 15 on road (my estimate for Mumbai)cost for top end its is really not a VFM product.

@ Sarabjeet I agree with you on Ecosport being cramped on the inside . The car felt claustrophobic to me (maybe due to high dashboard) ,since its black inside the rear seat don't feel spacious and the dashboard qulaity is poor (wrt i20 imo). The boot space is good wrt hatchbacks ,I think the car could have been packaged a bit better.

People trust Nissian more than Renault atleast in my society because they know that Nissan has Micra and xtrail but they don't really know about renault.

Details of the Terrano variants seem to have been leaked but they couple be speculative

According to the source The Terrano will have five trim levels to choose from – XE, XL, XL+, XV and XV Premium.

The engine-wise variant line-up is as follows:

1.6-litre Petrol:

XL

1.5-litre Diesel, 85PS:

XE

XL-D

XL-D+

1.5-litre Diesel, 110PS:

XL-D

XV-D

XV-D Premium

Source

Good update PH. Hope with cosmetic changes, ABS is made available in all variants.

ABS is available only from mid variant (XL) onwards for 85ps version, don't know about 110ps version.

With Nissan asking 50-60k premium over Duster, safety features should have been standard (Dual airbags, ABS+EBD).

What's more, the way they have spread out the safety features within variants, is not to my liking.

For 85ps version:

Base XE variant - Only Driver side airbag

XL - XE + ABS/EBD/BA

XL Plus - XL + Passenger airbag.

Really liked the design of Alloy Wheels, it improves the overall aesthetic appeal of the vehicle. The front looks good too.

Would love to see this car doing good, only if Nissan is able to sell it well. May be a little pricey but can takeaway some buyers from the long waiting list of Ecosport.

Duster is already seeing a down trend in sales, plus they cant even decrease the prices at this stage as it will have negative impact on the brand. May be they can rejig their variant offerings and price them competitively.