bharatsir8086

Horrible BMW Ownership Experience!!! Please Help!

Hey Guys,

I purchased a BMW 520d from Navnit Motors, Andheri, Mumbai, on 5th Jan 2013.

The Car is now 6 months old, and is driven around 1500 mms.

My ownership experience has been utterly miserable and would like to share it with you all.

List of problems:

1> Within three weeks of ownership, the car developed a cracking noise from its suspension. Upon complaining, BMW acknowledged that it was a "faulty suspension" and hence replaced it.

2> Within 1.5 months, the car remotes started acting up! All of a sudden, both remotes would completely refuse to work. At times the car would just not unlock. Even if I used the manual key to unlock it, the engine would refuse to start. Upon being left alone for a couple of days, they would start working again. It reached a point where, every time I approached my car, I would pray in my mind, "God, I hope it starts"! Upon complaining several times, BMW Service centre repaired it.

3> Around mid May, the brakes of the car started making some weird noise. The car was sent to the service centre and they repaired it.

4> NOW THE NIGHTMARE. The car came back from Navnit motors service centre on around 22nd may, after brakes problem got sorted. THAT NIGHT I TOOK THE CAR FOR A SPIN WITH MY WIFE AND ANOTHER COUPLE. I WAS ON THE BANDRA WORLI SEA LINK (LONG OPEN STRETCH OF ROAD), AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE BRAKES FAILED!!! A MSG CAME ON THE SCREEN SAYING “LOW OIL PRESSURE, BRAKES COMPROMISED (OR SO)”. NEEDLESS TO SAY, WE WERE AT A HIGH SPEED. THE BRAKES WERE BARELY WORKING AT 10% OF THEIR ACTUAL STRENGTH. FORTUNATELY, THE ROAD AHEAD WAS CLEAR SO I HAD AMPLE TIME TO STOP THE CAR. I DROVE MY CAR BACK HOME AT CRAWLING SPEED, WITH ALL FOUR OF US IN THE CAR THANKING OUR STARS THAT WE ARE STILL ALIVE!

The next day, I called up Navnit BMW, and got my car towed back.

They took about 3 days to respond with what had actually gone wrong with the car.

Their reply was that THERE WAS A FAULT IN THE ENGINE, AND SO THE ENTIRE ENGINE HAD TO BE REPLACED. THEY SAID THE ENGINE HAD TO BE IMPORTED FROM GERMANY AND SO IT WOULD TAKE A FEW DAYS, AND SO THEY GAVE ME A LOANER CAR TO BE USED IN THE MEANTIME.

THEY TOOK 50 DAYS (FIFTY!!!) to return back my car.

During all this time, I wrote several times to BMW India as well as BMW Germany, saying that BMW should accept their moral responsibility, and acknowledge that they have given me a FAULTY car, and hence not just replace my engine but REPLACE THE CAR INSTEAD!!!

But all my letters fell to deaf ears and the only response I got from either of them was to have patience.

50 days!!! Seriously! BMW thinks they can take people for a royal ride.

In those days, two of my EMIs have gone through! Imagine paying for a car that you cant even see around you!

In none of my letters did I ask BMW for any sort of monetary compensation. All that I wanted was something that I paid for! A reliable high quality product! I guess I was asking for too much from BMW.

After all the ordeal I faced with the car, after putting my and my families life to risk, after making me wait agonizingly for 50 days for my car to come back, after making me pay two EMIs for a car that is lying in BMW garage, all they did was leave me with no choice but to accept my car back. As a good will gesture, they offered me dvd screens for the back seats, which I really am not at all interested in and hope they take it back!!!! Aah, and free door mats. I think that’s what BMW thinks of Indian customers. I am sure if all this happened in Europe or US, BMW would have to shell out a lot as compensation. But here in India, they think the can dump their faulty products and simply get away with it!

If that’s not the case, then WHY WAS I GIVEN A CAR WITH A FAULTY SUSPENSION, FAULTY BRAKES, FAULTY ENGINE, FAULTY REMOTES???

No answers from them, just kept asking me to have patience!

I was promised, in writing and orally by BMW CRMs from western region as well as all India, that the car, after being repaired, will be thoroughly tested and will be fault free. So much so that, one of them even said, “I will resign if there is any other fault in your car!”

The car was delivered to my place two days back. At first, I didn’t know how to relate to the car, but with a heavy heart I thought lets move on.

The VERY NEXT DAY, I REALISED, THE USB PORT IS NO LONGER WORKING.

GOD DAMN IT! This is HOW DISGUSTING BMW INDIA IS!!!

I AM COMPLETELY ASHAMED OF BUYING THIS CAR, AND AM SO SO DISGUSTED WITH MYSELF FOR MAKING THIS CHOICE!!!

I feel so CHEATED!!!!

HAVE COMPLAINED TO BMW AND THEY SAID THEY ARE SENDING THEIR STAFF TO MY PLACE TOMORROW TO “REPAIR” IT.

I hope by sharing this with you all I make you aware of the “standards” of BMW INDIA (or the lack of it)!

Every detail mentioned above is true and is documented with both, BMW and myself.

If there is any way you can help me get justice, I would be eager to know that.

Car Chassis No: WBAFW75020C474795.

Dealer: BMW Navnit, Andheri, Mumbai.

People Incharge (and constantly contacted):

Mr Laukik (Service Advisor, BMW Navnit)

Ms Sonali Bandivadekar(Service CRM, BMW Navnit)

Mr Ravi Bhagwat (BMW NAVNIT CRM)

Mr Sameer Jain (BMW Western India CRM)

Mr Karan Seth (BMW India Customer Support)

Mr Stephan Rausch (BMW India Director – After Sales).

Thats very unfortunate that you are dished out this treatment after putting your hard earned money in a premium German car. This is not acceptable. Its seems a fact now that you were given a lemon. You should have not accepted the engine change in the first place. 50 days is a joke. Do not give up. Take the fight to them and nothing a but a new car is what you should get. You should take them to court for sure.

Do you have BSI on your car?

Looking forward to updates from your end

@bharatsir8086. God speed to you as what you have been through, requires tons and tons of patience.

I strongly believe you should take legal action against them without fail.

Just one word sorry ! Few years back I had gone through the same pain with my Mercedes A class but Mercedes benz HQ where very responsive to my complains and flew technicians from germany to repair my car and extended my cars warrenty also.

anyways here are a few email id's you should use

customer.service@bmw.com

bmwgroup.customerservice@bmwgroup.com

apart from those log in to BMW worldwide website a register a complain with their head quarters, please CC the indian officials also this way they are under pressure to act quickly.

post-1746-0-24371700-1374562129_thumb.pn

please use this forum if all talks fail http://www.consumerf...ficial-website/

Do tell them politely about you paying EMI's and that if BMW doesnt come up with a agreeble situation for both parties you would have no option but to take legal route for giving you a defective manufactured product. Tell BMW HQ that it has been two months and nothing postive has come out.

Edited by sarabjeet

This is unacceptable by BMW, how can the brakes fail due to an engine problem? Aren't they hydraulic I can understand that the brake boosters not working but the braking shouldn't be only 10%. You should have told them to give you 525 engine when they were replacing it if they didn't replace the car.

Also was the loaner car another 5 series ? If it was not then ask for compensation upto 2 lakhs/month when the car was with them.

I understand that the cars have many electronic devices and control unit but a basic USB failure is unwarrented when customer suffers through this.

Forward your letter to Germany and CC to Indian officals as posted by sarabjeet.

Take a legal action because the case is pretty clear cut if there is another small issue with the car.

This is the reason I am skeptible of a German car even though they have excellent dynamics

Thanks Guys, Really appreciate the support.

I have mailed to all the above mentioned places.

Will keep you posted as soon as i get any reply from them.

Meanwhile, I sincerely hope Autocar publishes my story in their magazine, so that people know what BMW India has to offer to their customers! What happened to me could have happened to anyone else, or could be even worse!

Thats quite a sad ordeal Bharat.

Have never heard anything like this against the German car maker ever!!

This is really a sad story and nothing like this would have been acceptable for any kind of a car... This is least expected out of a luxury car maker to have that car delivered to you in the first place.

Secondly, adding DVD screens and floor mats!! Really?

I believe, to keep up their image - not just the car maker - but even the dealer, they should have offered to replace the car themselves without even you asking for it.

I agree with RSSH here that you should be paid compensation for the ordeal you have been through.

A new car is due to you.

I hope you do not have to go through another ordeal to get this sorted out with your prized possession.

This is the second 5 series failing on this board.

In short , seek for a full refund as in my view you can never feel safe in this particular vehicle,i mean how many times can you put yourself in danger.

Get rid of it at the earliest.

@bharatsir8086

It's very sad to go through such things with your priced possession.

But why you have accepted the car with replaced engine and waited for 50 days for the same ?

You should have taken legal action immediately on getting message about replacement of engine from BMW Officials and could have either claimed new vehicle altogether or could have asked refund of down payment and EMIs already paid by just not accepting back the defective vehicle given to you.

If you are now planning to file legal case you will have to be very clear about what you want from BMW because since BMW has responded to your complaints and rectified the problems you will have tough time fighting with BMW to claim new vehicle now.

Only hope remains is about your getting back two months EMIs which you can claim along with interest if you file legal case.

Hi Tejas

This is nina agarwal. I have had the exact same problem with BMW 7 series.

My car got flooded while just standing in aambey valley recently with all windows etc shut of course.

My car has been with Navnit for the longest time.

When I asked them as to why this has happened , BMW India , mr Stephan is telling me that this happens in India all the time co India has poor weather condition.

They also told me on email that they do not wish to reply back to me on email.

I'm shocked BMW can treat its luxurious customers like this.

It's disgusting. You should file legally. I'm planning to do file a legal notice to BMW India, Navnit and to BMW Germany for selling faulty cars.

Look up BMW recall 2013.

They have recalled more than 500000 car which have been faulty from all over the world

What is it with German car companies and reliability/service issues in India? We already know of Czek/German Skoda owners' horror stories, then stories started pouring in over VW, and all along, both Mercedes and Audi have had bad service/reliability records. I trusted BMW to be the one hassle-free German brand to own. This shows exactly the opposite. Can't we own a German car without having to suffer these issues?

There is nothing wrong with German companies IMHO. There are failures everywhere, My brand new Infiniti had a Roof Malfunction, though it was ironed out instantly.

It is we here in India that is the root of the problem. We should always remember things here in India are done with arm twisting tactics, don't expect customer service to be top notch at all. Had faced these issue, best to CC the head quarters in germany in each and everywhere mail untill you are in warrenty, once you are out, find a professional mechanic that can handle these beauties and then you'll understand how these said to be Company Service centre rip you off.

I can't comment on Infiniti, as I know little about this brand, and its Indian operations. Of course, there's the stereotype of bulletproof reliability of Japanese cars running in India for a long time.

Then again, we have some cars that don't break down as much as others. We have some car companies which have decent service and spares support. With these German/Czech cars, we have neither. Yes, they offer better cars, and better for the money spent, but reliability is an issue as we've noticed in this thread, and in several other VW/Audi/Merc threads, and service ordeals are quite scary.

So are unreliable German cars running and selling here because of this arm-twisting? Is it also the cause of the dreadful service records of these companies? Then how come we don't hear such stories about other car companies? Like how a Honda Accord/Civic doesn't break down as often as a 5 series/E-Class? While even a Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota isn't top-notch in service, it's nowhere the horror story that we read in threads such as these.