Tejen

Why to buy the TOP END?

Buying the top end models is now becoming a lifestyle thing for us. Most of the people have now started opting for top end models rather than of buying the mid levels. The percentage of top end sales has seen an increase of about 40% in last few years only. What does this indicate?

Acc. to me, buying a top end has now become a necessity ,rather than, just of their functionality people buy them.

But, is opting for a high end a good idea?

Considering all the aspects in mind the top end's have all the class leading functions that help in today's rushy driving condition's. Cars, which are SENSOR rich, help from a fastlane driving to the parking lots. Without being so fussy they help a lot. Also top end's look a bit more than their cheap siblings ( of course b'coz of external goodies such as alloys, parking sensors, elctric sunroofs etc. and internals such as wood trims, dual beige upholstery etc. and safety such as ABS,EBD,ESP,hill assit etc.)

post-28055-0-33624700-1374656257.jpgBut when it comes to the service, they also cost a foot big high, plus, their resales are always down due to their "requirement of high cost's to maintain" tag!!

post-28055-0-91204600-1374656266.jpg

In all, buying a top end is just a personal decision, which now slowly is turning into a mass decision.

WANTING ALL OF YOU TO JOIN THIS TOPIC AND COMMENT WITH YYOUR OPINION OVER BUYING A TOP END!!!

I would agree with you here upon buying the top end version. I believe more than anything else, its the safety features present in the top end variants which have an impact on the buyer's decision. I have seen within my family and friend's circle too that its the presence of safety features like side curtain Airbags, ABS, EBD etc. which greatly enhance the occupant's safety in case of an impact that provide the differentiator value-add to opt for a top of the line model. Other features like GPS, reverse parking sensors/ cameras, touchscreen entertainment systems etc. only add cherry to the cake and make for a compelling buy. As more and more of these features make way into the lower segment cars, the overall cost of maintenance of such features would also come down due to benefits of mass production. All in all, the consumers would be the ones to benefit. Cheers!

Hersch, all the point's you made above are totally correct,but, the point you made about the maintanance of the tech. gadgets is something i would like to add on. The sensors, with which the new Generation cars come fitted off, are something that indian roads and weather conditons are not just used to!! :-p

But the real point is that such techy things get easily faded off in Indian driving conditions. For example talikng of rear view camera, although it will be used alot, but woul be prone of getting black off, and it hapens in cars like Hyndai i 20, Fluidic Verna. So, the overall replacemnet cost's become very high thus resale goes much down. The second hand car buyer is always willing to buy a car that costs half of it's segment but also want's a car that is easy on his/her pocket too!!

Urban buyer's know what ABS EBD ESP are but not most of the rural one's know it. And, most of the indian population is rural thus the sales of the top end get's limited to the urban buyer's!

There are essentially 2 types of buyers in Indian car market, one who cares about safety features and other who goes for bling (chrome, alloys, audio controls on steering etc etc).

But in either case, these things are being offered by most manufacturers in top end model only, hence the sales.

However, i have noticed in cases where manufacturers have provided option of getting safety features added as an option from mid variant onward will see less sales of top end variant.

Everything aside,

The thought of a new car being ripped apart on the very first day to fix basic accessories like an audio system , central locking and the likes is what kills me.

The refitting is often shabby and generally becomes an eyesore , the refitted panels somehow do not ever fix in the way they came done from the factory , i could go on and on

I am willing to pay extra both for the added safety features and company fitted accessories and also the expensive repairs they demand for this added convenience.

@ sachins, the buyer's also include a third type, the type that doesn't either care about safety nor the bling but only the cost and that type targets only the mid or base levels as their main concern is just a car which goes easy on pocket. For those people steering mounted buttons and other bells and whistles matters nothing. That is what make other variants outsell the top end's in a very large number's.

@librankur, getting your newly brought car and getting it torn ed from every panel just for fitting these gadgets ( from local, untrained dealers) should always be avoided, but, that doesn't mean that you should spend more than or equal to 1 lakh more just not to see that fitment. In industries too these gadgets are fitted the same way, just the difference is that you are unable to see it!!!

But, your point is good because in company is fitted before fitting the panel thus quality remains constt. while reopening it in a downtown local shop creates panel gaps thus ultimately leading to vibrations!!

Opt for registered and trained dealers for such fitments. Top End is a no solution but an option!!

@ sachins, the buyer's also include a third type, the type that doesn't either care about safety nor the bling but only the cost and that type targets only the mid or base levels as their main concern is just a car which goes easy on pocket. For those people steering mounted buttons and other bells and whistles matters nothing. That is what make other variants outsell the top end's in a very large number's.

Agreed, but i was listing those type of customers who go for top end variant.

Also, most people go for finance option while buying new car so they don't mind taking that extra plunge for the top end model (though they might not need/use those features).

Apart fromt the points mention by above members remember many are not satisfied with after-mart fittings of audio systems, reverse sensors, leather seats. If your actually go for top qualities they always land you in the same region as OEM top of the varients.

Plus remember, you install or change HU or music systems or change/add any electronic equipments your warrenty gets void. Esp in VWs, Ford, Skoda and honda

When I bought my car the primary requirement was ABS and Diesel engine and at that time i20 had only Magna (with ABS and 4 disc brakes) and Asta varient? I was more than fine with Magna but the moment I saw auto-closing rear view mirror I was sold on it and ofcourse the steering was much better looking than the Magna i10's one.

In todays i20 I will still buy the Asta because it was rearwipers which I can't live w/o atleast in Mumbai

My perception to buy TOP END for safety features; I will buy swift Zxi as my first choice of car in the variants or Lxi if budget won't let me buy the top end, no second thought for Vxi .

Please advise me regarding small car with ABS in range of INR four hundred thousands . Alto has no ABS left only AStar or Beet ...

@ monolocal for your choice in 4 lakh marked price, you really have a limited choice of just one car i.e. A-star VXi AT but if you stretch your budget say 1 lakh plus some more thousands you get A-Star ZXi Option, Chevy Beat LT option, Chevy Sail U-VA LS ABS, Ford Figo Titanium Duratec, Maruti Zen Estillo VXi Option, Ritz VXi ABS, Wagon R VXi ABS, Tata Indigo eCS GVX, Tata Indica Vista Safire65 GVX.

The reality is that, for an ABS fitted car you will have to definitely pay more than 4 lakh plus it would strictly be a petrol. If you are keen on buying a car with ABS only you can opt for used cars. In used car market you would easily find cars higher in class with all safety features such as ABS EBD Airbags etc. with only some thousand kms. clocked on odometer these cars would solve your purpose.

For 4 lakh you can get from a used Getz CRDi to an Accord V6!!!!

Incredible, only if, you can live with the "USED CAR" tag!!

I will buy Astar Vxi ABS Automatic which will on road price 4.5. I do trust Maruti and diffiently petrol mileage will an issue but comfort has its price.

I dont want to buy Used car as its very difficult to trust used car.I did good research online for Automatic and ABS cars and my experience was not good.

Completely agree with Sachin and Sarabjeet's thoughts above. Indian market has space for all the variants to co-exist. Which variant to go in for, totally depends upon one's budget, personal taste and preferences. I think safety is something that should never be compromised, even if it means that you end up paying a little extra. Other accessories like a fancy entertainment system etc can easily take a back seat. It is also true that a retrofit is a retrofit and cannot match the company fit and finish majority of the times unless done by an expert artist. Hence an added-on one time expense seems worth it.

I was on a trip recently and there was a sudden unmarked diversion on the highway.

I slammed on the brakes and the car slowed down very well, despite it raining.

If there weren't the ABS and the EBD, cant imagine what would've happened to us :)

Airbags are a must have for me, given the chances of survival in a crash.

Incidents and safety like this, they are worth much more than the 1 lakh or so we spend initially.

Mine is a 2012 Swift ZDi with 60,000 kms on the clock. Not a rattle or a squeak(swifts are notorious for this). I believe this is because the interior was never opened for any modifications.The OEM alloys are of really good quality in comparison to many aftermarket ones.

I'd no doubt stick to the top end, for the safety and the reliability they offer in the long run.

It is not ALWAYS thats you should buy a top end, it depends on the manufacturer and model.

For ex:

Honda City Corporate - The base variant of City

It comes with:

ABS, Airbag, Electric ORVM Controls, Mileage and Range indicator etc.

Its has got BLACK interiors which for me looks much sportier than beige.

What it doesn't - Music System.

Put an After market ICE and you can get features like -

LCD Display, Navigation, Reverse Parking sensor with camera, Bluetooth calling

My Advice:

Never buy a car WITHOUT AIRBAGS coz that is a feature which you will never want to use but it can save your life :)

Cheers,

Kapil

More than flashy features, most brands provide safety features like dual airbags, ABS+EBD, defogger, fog lamps in top or high-mid models and it is better to go for models with all these features as it is these features that make the difference at that unfortunate moment. I was searching for a new car and my first priority was ABS and airbags, then came engine power and interior/aesthetics were of least priority.