aks316

Fabia Vs Mid Size Cars..

Finally skoda fabia is here.. It is priced same as mid size cars like fiesta, aveo, sx4, honda city, verna so is it better or it is just overpriced for the skoda badge.. can the fabia beat them.. ? 

There has been a lot of anticipation since the Fabia was announced about four years ago. It appears to be an excellent car though the PD 3-Cylinder engine could have been quieter. Power and torque can be jacked up by about 20% by a simple ECU remap. The boot size is also adequate, which when combined with the flexibility of a hatch makes it very attractive.

I wish it succeeds, and also hope it does not have the sort of clutch problems which have been reported with the Octavia in another thread.

The big question is, will India accept a deluxe Hatch?

Finally skoda fabia is here.. It is priced same as mid size cars like fiesta' date=' aveo, sx4, honda city, verna so is it better or it is just overpriced for the skoda badge.. can the fabia beat them.. ? [/quote']

Hey buddy, there is already a thread existing for the topic which must be quite old and may be closed also due to the turmoil it created among the members! you can actually read it if you want to feel the spirit of the forum ( if its still available to read ) smiley1.gif

i think it will have a mixed reaction.. not many people will buy it as a 1st car but ppl will but it as a 2nd car.. and being a skoda car it may effect sales of aveo, verna and fiesta..

Skoda has very low brand value in Europe. Its just the same as that of a Volks Wagen Polo.But the Polo has greater value. Fabia is not a luxury car. Skoda is really cheating Indian consumers since they could make a good brand image in India since they came to India earlier than the great players. Its the same in the case of Hyundai also. Hyundais are the ones with least resale value in Europe and other developed markets.We poor Indians are paying more for the cheaper ones.

so do you think aveo/sx4/city/fiesta/verna are better cars than skoda fabia.. i think skoda fabia is a very good car and the only problem is its not a three box sedan.. as per autocar fabia is a luxury hatchback.. see gm is no.1 in the world but in india its not doing good.. and skoda is doing well in india and that is what matters..i love the fiesta and aveo but i want to stay away from gm and ford cars.. skoda is a brand in india no matter how bad it is outside..

Finally skoda fabia is here.. It is priced same as mid size cars like fiesta' date=' aveo, sx4, honda city, verna so is it better or it is just overpriced for the skoda badge.. can the fabia beat them.. ? [/quote']

If Fabia has enough legroom compared to the rest you mentioned, it should beat the other cars as it has more features and not so small boot (3000 cc) and more or less comparable seating space inside. But people will buy it or not depends on a lot of other factors, which no one can predict. Even experts can only say why it sells or not, but they cannot say whether it will sell or not.

Hi everybody!

Yep Skoda wants to play the luxury card game but the truth is - Fabia is to Europe what i10 is to India.

Fabia doesn't compete with midsize sedans in Europe but with hatchbacks like Fiat Punto/ Renault Clio / Vauxhal Corsa/ Ford Focus etc. In Europe it's priced from roughly 6.2 to 10 lacs, and has FIVE engines-

1.2 petrol- 60 and 70 bhp

1.4 petrol- 84 bhp

1.6 petrol- 105 bhp

1.4 PD- 70 and 80 bhp

1.9 PD- 105 bhp.

Whew!!

Here they have priced it from roughly 5.3-8.3 lacs (on-road Chandigarh) and have given 1.2/60 bhp, 1.4/84bhp petrol + 1.4PD/69bhp engines.

I test drove 1.4PD (petrol's not launched yet) and the guys at local dealership say top end 1.4PD is being bought more, that too by people who already have an Octavia/Laura etc. The other two trims buyers are those who already have a midsize-sedan or a premium hatch .

So Skoda wants to pull buyers from both premium hatch and midsize segments. No doubt the car is competent- with space similar to City/SX4/Verna/Fiesta/Getz/Aveo and bigger than rest, good dynamics, more bells whistles & Saftey equipment than some cars even a class higher.

But with Skoda targeting 1200 cars / month are they really trying to compete with sedans.. I don't think so.

They are simply offering a gr8 European hatch without heavy cost-cutting exercises like Maruti & Hyundai did on Swift & Getz (seat padding, parcel shelf, cabin plastics etc.) even Honda did on City (no ABS/airbags initially & now also only on VTEC).

P.S. Mr. jimgeo, the Fabia holds its value well in Europe (way better than Swift/Getz and and in league of other large hatches). Check Autocar, AutoExpress,TNS UK/Europe.

I can do good if some bells and whistles are removed and with agressive price tag .Its a luxury hatch.

Luxury hatch without bells and whistles. Is it not a contradiction. People expect 'toys' in this segment.

Hey I said if they remove some bells and whistles then it could be more appealing . & its a luxury hatch and not premium hatch like Swift.

What do you mean by luxury & premium. The Fabia is aiming higher than the Swift. Appealing is a matter of personal taste. The only bit in the top model I would not want is the Sun Roof.

Yeh , the fabia is simply playing on with indians with such a high price tag , i thnk it should have been atleast around 80k  - 1 lakh rs cheaper , plus the miantenence cost is too high

The Mangaloreans are very keen in every new car launched and as a matter of fact every new car thats launched will be taken by any person very soon or before the luanch itself ( ex  - Fiesta ) but its surprising to see no Skoda fabia in Mangalore roads , i think this might be due to the waiting period or no bookings made , but i dont think i saw even a test drive ( Demo ) car of Fabia , but just 2 fabias displayed in showroom , the Blue one looked very very cool and awsome

Cheers!!!

I was waiting for this car from quite some time and the value

proposition that this car offers is definitely quite a disappointment.

1. Skoda is neither a Toyota nor a Honda which can command such a high

premium. With the other two, we know even if we are paying a bit

higher, there is sound technology and fine engineering and nothing will

go wrong with the vehicle. All of them are a big doubt with Skoda.

2. Underpowered for the price.

3. Expensive to maintain.

4. Dealers not the best around

5. For 9 lakhs we get a noisy engine whcih is no where near state of the art.

worldwide VW group has now dumped Pum Duse and have decided to switch to common rail. This is clearly 'dumping'.

More than anything, the competition offers fantastic value for the same price.

For elegance price, i can get a Honda city smiley4.gif or a Fiesta or a Verna or an SX4 or even an Innova (a base version but still it's an Innova!).

I can also get a used Innova V, Toyota Corolla and other premium midsizers and be left with some cash too.

I guess Skoda have done their marketing research. So let us wait and see if they are right or the forum members. Whether there is something in their pricing or it is just trying to catch in on the four year wait.

As for PD being dumped it hass apparently being done since VW alone cannot match the developments by the rest of the world who are on Common Rail. I hear PD survives in LARGE engines.

I guess Skoda have done their marketing research. So let

us wait and see if they are right or the forum members. Whether there

is something in their pricing or it is just trying to catch in on the

four year wait.

As

for PD being dumped it hass apparently being done since VW alone cannot

match the developments by the rest of the world who are on Common Rail.

I hear PD survives in LARGE engines.

Of course they would have.... and it might well be a success in their

terms since they are not looking for more than 1200 vehicles p.m.....

but all i was saying was my perception of the Fabia and why it doesn't

make much sense to me smiley1.gif

It's quite possible that skoda doesn't want to take their products mass

market (in India)  and retain some degree of exclusivity for their

brand and a high pricing is one such effective means of achieving

it!!  But what it does lead to is interesting. VW have made a

decision to price their products at a premium to the comparable

Skodas... so what will the Polo be priced if and when it will be

launched!!!!  Or Skoda might drop the prices of Fabia as they've

done with the Superb..... wat say?

The Fabia will do decent figure's here, if the sales figures of Laura are anything to go by: 600 sold this December and it has outsold Octavia by almost 100%!!! This is because of the tremendous brand value attached. Who know's Fabia will be a runaway hit too. Skoda is in an enviable position here in India. They are making use of their brand value to the hilt and pricing their hatchback in the range of the midsizer's. They let their sales do the talking.

there quite a few fabia already here in delhi..... though almost all i saw were white....

@romeo  the don't exaclty reduce the price..... they bring a cheaper variant with less stuff..... like in case of superb..... the got out with superb comfort.......

correct me if i am wrong

White was the most popular colour in the world. Now it is Silver.

I saw on C&B last night that Skoda are probably targeting the City / Corolla customer, and persuade him to switch to a premium hatch. If this is true then the appointments and pricing make a lot of sense!

I have seen lots more Passat in Mumbai than Superb they are mostly silver-white.

Well i have seen many Lauras in White black and grey

Ad octavias in Red , Black and dark blue

I personally liked the blue color in the Fabia

Cheers!!!