aks316

Fabia Vs Mid Size Cars..

i think it lacks the appeal of a 8 lakh car, looks wise and performance wise. agreed, the car has an impressive list of features but with that dull engine, what am i going to do with the features? i dont want a car which is all show no go! only positives remain quality cabin and good ride quality. i wont mind sacrificing some quality for a rocking engine!

i won't agree with you, raher skoda's 1.5 TDI is good performance wise aswell. you will feel the lag only under 2000 rpm, but dude how mush time it takes to rev up your engine over 2000 rpm mark?

yes you will feel the lag in the first two gears, but try the car in third slot, you'll be suprised by its pulling power!

i think it lacks the appeal of a 8 lakh car' date=' looks wise and performance wise. agreed, the car has an impressive list of features but with that dull engine, what am i going to do with the features? i dont want a car which is all show no go! only positives remain quality cabin and good ride quality. i wont mind sacrificing some quality for a rocking engine![/quote']

True, 8L seems too much for the punny engine provided! But isnt it ironical that you seemed to love the feature packed Scorpio VLX  so much, when the same engine with less features & more power is provided in the Safari, at a much lower price!

True' date=' 8L seems too much for the punny engine provided! But isnt it ironical that you seemed to love the feature packed Scorpio VLX  so much, when the same engine with less features & more power is provided in the Safari, at a much lower price!
[/quote']

i love the scorpio for its engine. yes the features are a welcome addition. i TD the safari too and i wanted to buy it, but the engine dint impress me. it was lifeless at low RPMs which is a chore in the city.

just because both engine carry the same tech and same displacement, thet are not the same engines bro. drive both back to back and you will understand what i mean!

safari has more power but the scorpio has a better power to weight ratio which ultimately matters!

finally, the safari was more expensive!

now lets get back to the fabia! as what i understood when i drove it, it seemed underpowered to me. hence the comment.

1.2 petrol Fabia is a complete waste.

You probably did not get my point in my earlier post, I meant that you did not like features in the Fabia, but loved them on Scorpio! Why?

okay, its not that i dint like the features, i have mentioned its "impressive"! but i did not like it in the fabia because i have to pay 3 lakhs more over its competitors which is a premium they cant demand considering the engine! in the scorpio i am paying a few thousands less than its competitors!!!

i meant i would rather have a good engine first and then the features!
raj_50042008-09-14 08:56:52

Yes, that's the point, Scorpio is selling the same engine compared to competition at a much higher price with only features being the difference!

Ok , read your edited post later, so you dont mind paying 3L more for features only!

speed2008-09-14 09:00:23

what are you saying speed? when did i say i will pay 3L more only for features? i will pay the 3L premuim skoda is demanding if it has an impressive engine along with these features and the quality cabin. i wont pay that much amount just for the features. the engine is the heart of the car and that is what matters the most to me.

i again repeat, how can you say two engines from two different manufacturers are same? just because they boast the same cubic capicty? hence i told you to drive both back to back and you will certainly feel the difference. i have no idea which engine you will like but i am sure you will know that both are different engines!

and where is the higher price? scorpio VLX is cheaper than safari VX.

Safari LX with 2.2 eagle engine costs 8L,

Scorpio VLS  with 2.2 costs 10L,

Features are almost common, rather Safari has 140 BHP compared to Scorpios 120BHP only.

So at this price point Safari excels over Scorpio, only if people want additional features for around 2L more.

Same is the case with Fabia, it has a decent diesel engine + loads of features & costs around 1.5l more than the competition.

Ok , I know your point of view, you have already told Scorpio is better than Safari & its engine is a gem too.

speed2008-09-14 12:42:46

ohhhhh, you are comparing a the LX with VLS. mahindra has positioned the V series as a premium scorpio, hence the mHawk engine is not available in the lower variants, cant help it!.

i still dont think safari excels over scorpio. i have seen many fringe over power figures. a 100 bhp car weighing 300 kgs can easily throw dirt at a 200 bhp car weighing 3 tons! look at the power to weight ratio dude! scorpio is much lighter. also, the refinement and initial burst of acceleration and lack of any turbo lag is what drew me in favour of the VLX.

the diesel engine in the fabia is not decent according to me! cmon, the swift D is more fun to drive, the getz has better acceleration figures, then why should i pay 3L more for the fabia?
raj_50042008-09-14 12:41:58

Mahindra can position what ever they want, but I as a customer have a choice, a vehicle cannot jump its category because of features only. If Mahindra want to offer technology, they should offer in sync with competition.

About power to weight ratio:

Safari weighs 2 Tons & has 140Bhp & does 0-100 in 15sec.

Scorpio weighs  1880 Kg. ie. only 120 Kg less than Safari, has 120 Bhp, with old gearbox which is not suitable & does 0-100 in 16sec.

Now, where is the difference? I would pick the Safari anyday based on these figures.

refer any comparison in any magazine, including autocar india, safari does 0-100 kph in 15.56 secs and scorpio does it in 14.77 secs. i dont know the source of your figures!

yes, you are right, mahindra should offer the mHawk engine in all variants but they chose not to do so. their wish! but look at the sales figures of the safari and scorpio buddy. do you think in any way mahindra is repenting?

who says scorpio's gearbox is not suitable? are you sure you have driven a mHawk? the VLX and VLS has double synchromesh gears for all gears except the 4th and 5th gear! the safari has still not employed this techno. so which is older?

hey speed, in our debate, we forgot that this is a fabia comparo thread and not a scorpio v/s safari thread. so we should not divert from the topic like this, i think! for more debates, we can open a new thread and i will be more than happy to post my views there. lets not spoil this thread. what say? 

My figures were from ACI & it was mentioned in ACI only that Scorpio Mhawk carries over the old gearbox from the Scorpio, which needs replacement desperately.

But, even if your figures are taken into account, a mere 1sec. diff. is nothing, considering the massive 2L price diff.

What about diff. between Safari 2.2Lx & Scorpio CRDI, these 2 cost the same! Here surely Safari will walk away with honours!

Read your post later, you are right, we shall continue on some other day in some other thread! Thanks.

speed2008-09-14 13:06:53

speed, i do not intend to re-start the debate here, but though the basic gearbox of the mHawk and the CRDe is the same, the VLX and VLS carries double synchromesh gears. if possible, search for the technical details of the VLX and this will be clearly stated. you wont find this in the brochure or website though! that will prove my point!

yes, the difference in acceleration figures is marginal, but that was not quoted to show that the scorpio enjoys better acceleration and in-gear timings. that was since you were quoting the power figures.

this thread started as a comparo between the VLX and the fabia, then came the safari 2.2 and now the scorpio CRDe. its better we stop here! lol!

who told you fabia is asks 3L more over its competator.
the price differnece between swift VDI and Fabia Classic is 70' date='000 rupees.
plus fabia secures much more over swift when it comes to safety.[/quote']

the on-road price of fabia classic in mumbai is 7.6 lakhs and swift VDi is 5.7 lakhs. that makes it 2 lakhs! the difference increses as bigger variants of fabia are compared.

here i again must say, the swift cant match fabia's high quality and spacious cabin, its build quality and features. but wish it had a engine like the swift. infact, given the price, it should have a much better engine than the swift or getz.

thats what i am cribbing about! when i am paying 2 lakhs more for the base fabia, i am very happy with the cabin, image and space... ALRIGHT!!! but how would i feel when my 7 lakh sturdy car makes more noise than a puny 5 lakh maruti? how would i feel when on a traffic light, this cheap maruti kicks dirt on my face? how would i feel when the cheap maruti owner boasts of better FE figures? and all i can do is boast about my car's high quality and expensive spares! thats not done guys......!

what say?
raj_50042008-09-14 18:56:31

are you sure raj_5004 , coz i think you are giving the price of fabia's ambient model!

when i checked the fabia classic's price at one of the dealers in amritsar(krishna auto), thet quoted me 6.6 which is 70-75 ks over swift vdi!