man2705

Driving BMW 320D from Mumbai to Kochi

I have booked BMW 320D and planning to drive from Mumbai to Kochi in the next week.please advice the rules to be followed for a new vehicle's maiden drive.Important points for PDI or any speed limitation to be observed ?

thanks in advance

I made the trip from kochi to mumbai in my i20 in may 2012 ,its was a vacation trip so we divided the trip into 3 parts. 1st day from kochi to Manglore it took approx 9-10 hours . Next day from Manglore to Goa via udipi was done in 7 hours the road is excellent and traffic sense is good. From goa I took swantwadi-kohlapur-pune route and did it in 10 hours. The road conditions are really very good in Kerala and Karnataka but I would avoid Mumbai-Goa highway its is very tiring and dangerous with poor roads.

thank you for your input.it is being new car is there any speed restrictions to be observed?I,m planning to take mumbai-pune-kolhapur-belgaum-hubli-yallapur-ankola-kumta-hanovar-bhatkal-baindur-kundapura-udupi-mangalore-mangalore-kasargod-payyannur-kannur-kochi route.it is being my first long drive your expertise views are very much appreciated.

Dealers usually advise you not to rev the cars too much before the engine oil change at the first service. This is because no matter how precise, the diameters of the cylinders and pistons will vary fractionally because of minute deformations on the metal surfaces of the pistons and cylinders. The difference will be incredibly small. As the pistons move, the deformations are remove and the minute metal particles are suspended in the engine oil. If you rev the car too much, these particles could get lodged or jammed into other parts of the cylinder by the piston. This is why there is an engine oil change at the first service. So, its not the speed of the car that matters but the engine revs that matter. As long as you don't rev the engine to its redline and keep the revs in the mid-range your car will be perfectly fine. You can drive at speeds that you can attain by keeping the engine revving in its mid-range. I'm sure you'll have a great drive in your BMW 320D as I've heard and read the car is great to drive and is comfortable too. Have a nice drive.

Hi man2705,

If your car is unregistered it may not be a smart move to drive across through so many places, if caught the penalties can be hefty.

Best is to book it in a transport/flat bed which can be arranged by your showroom.

Edited by F30

Thanks everybody

I thought it was okay to drive down to cochin with Temp reg.Right now I'm in mumbai to take delivary and to drive down straight to cochin. please advice what could be penalty?

Dear F30 can I get your contact number?how much could be the penalties?I'm almost there to take delivery within a couple of hours.all of your immediate assistance on this matter is very much appreciated

Dear F30 can I get your contact number?how much could be the penalties?I'm almost there to take delivery within a couple of hours.all of your immediate assistance on this matter is very much appreciated

Thanks everybody

I thought it was okay to drive down to cochin with Temp reg.Right now I'm in mumbai to take delivary and to drive down straight to cochin. please advice what could be penalty?

For a temp MH car I think you can drive it anywere in Maharashtra and as such there shouldn't be a penalty but the cops if they catch you will ask for greasing.

dear All

I reached home without any major issues only fined at kasargod (kerala) for displaying illegible TP reg number and at kannur for over speeding by kerala police(total fine INR 400)the road after murudeswar is horrible,only SUV and trucks can drive through.

experience at Infinity cars was the worst delivery I ever had in my life.sales executive didn't even know about form 20 and 21. couldn't believe that such a premium brand has ill informed executives.

total diesel coast for the trip is INR 5000.

I know how much fun you might have had driving down to Kerala. Are you registering the car in Kerala or Mumbai?

Why would a dealer have a dumb SE in the premium luxury car segment? This is seriously bad for BMW as a brand, trust me I have experience as and intern as SE in automobile sector and we are trained well especially the Germans are particular about the SE knowing every feature and function.

@man2705, congrats on your new car.

It's surprising to see SEs of a premium car maker not aware/educated about the product and services.

Just a look at the customer feedback form (Question 2), shows poor wording of answering options (seems a copy/paste job).

Dear rssh

road after murudeswar is very bad and suitable for trucks and suvs so the driving wasn't fun after murudeswar.I heard that bangalore ,krishnagiri,coimbatore route would have been much better fun to drive.

I registered the car in the following day after the arrival and R.T .O staff co operated very well so every thing went well(paying tax and reg fee) until AMVI pointed out some mistake in the Invoice(fault of the dealer) so I had to give one affidavit in the INR 100 stamp paper.the entire registration procedure handled myself without any agent.Govt offices are very good nowadays.