Sign in to follow this  
cavallino

Italian GP

Were only a week away from what I believe is the ultimate purists track on the F-1 calendar. It is really something else to watch the drivers stand on the throttle and just go for broke at Monza. The driver who has proved himself more adept at this than others recently seems to be Felipe Massa. That one year of exclusively testing has definitely taught him how to drive fast on a clear track. Does anyone think there is any way that Raikkonen can out qualify him and get closer to Hamilton in the standings? McLaren fans out there might infer from my post that I dont believe they have a shot to challenge Ferrari in Italy. They would be right to do so. I believe this is the track that will bring out the absolute best from the F2007 due to its relatively longer wheelbase. Spa will probably be another matter, but thats another story for another post. So speak; Raikkonen or Massa or a McLaren surprise.

Off topic: It really would be one to see rain at Monza

. I believe this is the track that will bring out the absolute best from the F2007 due to its relatively longer wheelbase. Spa will probably be another matter' date=' but thats another story for another post.  [/quote']

im curious on your theory of the long wheel base and how youve come to these conclusions for monza / spa ?

Its not a theory. If you go to Ferraris website, you can see the technical specifications for both the 2006 248F1 and the 2007 F2007. The wheelbase of the F2007 is 85mm longer than that of the 248F1. And based on my decidedly non-expert reasoning, a longer wheelbased car usually does better on a high-speed track as the longer wheelbase provides stability through high speed corners.

To my understanding, Spa (while being overall a high speed car) has some slower speed sections where it is possible to lose a lot of time if not handled properly (not to mention the kerbs at the bus stop chicane, although I havent seen the newly profiled chicane yet). Its at the slower speed sections where I think McLaren would have the edge over the long wheelbase Ferrari (this is based on how superior the McLarens were over the Ferraris in Monaco). If the McLarens can maximize this advantage during qualifying and get track position, then the significant dirty air zone that makes it hard to follow another car through a corner (it would be hard for a driver to gain an advantage through Eau Rouge before Les Combes) should take care of the rest.  

hello cavallino...... you are indeed right about the difference from last year to this and in the effect of the long and short wheel base cars have. but IMO it will probably be the other way around as far as the circuits go - spa requires more emphasis on aero similar to turkey and the flowing nature will benefit ferrari.

monza is vaguely similar in nature to montreal - stop start chicanes, big kerbs and while yes it is high speed, the high speeds are in a straight line. will be interesting to see how it all shakes out but id say mclaren - by a small margin - at monza and ferrari at spa.

I thought of the similarities between Monza and Montreal as well but I think the big difference between the two is corners like the Lesmos, the fast entry into the Parabollica and the high speed Variante Ascari chicane (relative to most chicanes) where emphasis will be put on mechanical grip (during the fast sections of the corners which would bring in to play the longer wheelbase due to the cars running in a low aero trim. Had there not been a chicane right after the start-finish line the Curva Grande would also have been a factor, but that of course is ancient history in F-1 years.

I guess I should give your reasoning the benefit of the doubt though as you have actually driven on both circuits in a single-seater.

However, I think the X-factor of home advantage (although the new engine regs dont allow Ferrari to make Monza spec engines anymore) and Massas experience as a test driver should still see him qualify on pole at Monza. Hopefully Spa will be more open than Turkey (it was only a couple of years ago when the track was hailed as the ultimate modern racetrack and now some some fans have started comparing it to the Hungaroring) as it remains a drivers track and we have some pretty good talents in the Ferrari and McLaren squads.

As for what I do; I am an intern at a Autocar India with aspirations to be an F-1 (or at least a sports) journalist one day. Which would explain some of my armchair opinions. Incidentally, one of the editors at the magazine has tipped Robert Kubica to be the dark horse at Monza. Im curious to know what you think of that.

karuns point is well noted - it should be ferrari at spa, and cavallino pointing out the ferrari home advantage at monza does hold water too. but the high speed braking required at monza might just give the mclarens a teeny advantage. if it rains in monza, as well it might, i feel that will only add to the mclarens advantage.

if it rains in monza, as well it might, i feel that will only add to the mclarens advantage.

Come to think of it, when was the last time we had a wet Italian GP? I cant think of a single year when it rained there.

FuelRunGod2007-08-31 12:38:31

yea rain isnt really normal there although i do remember a race a few years ago which started wet when barrichello was on pole..... the test this week has had wet weather yesterday and today but traditionally its warm. to be honest, i dont really care - more concerned about the weather for the GP2 practice / quali / races !!!