Sign in to follow this  
bhpcrazy

BMW 1 Series launching on 3rd Sept. Cars arrive at dealerships. Would you buy it or go for an A Class?

BMW will be launching the 1 Series hatch back on 3rd Sept. Bookings have already begun and seems like the cars have started reaching dealerships already. The ! Series will be sold in 1 petrol and 1 diesel variant each with an 8 speed auto box. The 1 Series is expected to be priced at around 25 lakh rupees

s beautiful to look at while the

The A Class was the first mover in this segment and has been a super success for Mercedes. Now the 1 Series is here. Do you think that the 1 Series will have an edge over the A? Both have their merits and demerits. The A Class is beautiful to look at while the 1 Series doesnt look that great. The A Class has an underpowered engine while 1 Series gets a better motor. Which of the two would you pick if you had to buy either of these two?

Here is the pic of the 1 Series from a dealership

post-9756-0-56568500-1377584323_thumb.jp

Source

25 lakhs.. :o I think they are pricing it at a costlier side. Because A class starts at 23 lakhs. I am not aware if they are bringing it as a CBU or CKD form. I hope they bring it as CKD, so prices will decrease a bit. :)

The 1 series looks so unproportionate. It looks like someone just axed the boot! Sure it will have a more powerfull engine, but i gues mercedes would tune its engine to match the competition just like they introduced the C250, when its c220's where no match for 320d.

1 series is a drivers car, rear is too cramped. Would have to wait till more details of interiors and specs come out.

found an artical comparing A3 1.8 tfsi vs 1 series vs A45 amg http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758075

I think the 1 Series is a CKD from day 1. The prices I mentioned is something I assumed so we have to wait for the actual price. The A Class is a CBU currently.

Wow....if 1 series with CKD version costs more the CBU A-Class then it the price gap is definitely going to be more and more if A-class comes as CKD.

I doubt the success of 1 series.

Wow....if 1 series with CKD version costs more the CBU A-Class then it the price gap is definitely going to be more and more if A-class comes as CKD.

I doubt the success of 1 series.

@SStar

To be very honest the only thing going against the Mercedes is the underpowered engine. I have driven the A Class petrol extensively for a weekend and I can tell you its only the motor that disappoints but that too if you want to do spirited driving on highways. In the city its works very well and on highways is a decent cruiser if driven at moderate speeds.

The 1 Series may get a better engine but fact it it really doesnt look good at all. The A Class in comparison is a Beauty Contest winner.

On another note I also got unoficial word that the 1 Series is not really going to be very cheap. It is coming in 1 petrol and 3 diesel variants.

I am a big fan of BMW, but some of their models do disappoint, like the 1-series and the X6 (no one really knows what it is for, except for posing!). The 1-series is so dull, it looks so much like an everyday hatch. The fact that it is rear-wheel drive and it is a true driver's car in classic BMW fashion is not all that obvious. I don't think it deserves a 20 lac plus price tag (the fact is that none of the cars in India above 15 lac deserve their price tags!).

The A-class is a show stopper, and has the much needed drool-factor for a hatch so expensive.

What would really work for BMW in India and other emerging markets is a 1 series based 4-door saloon, like the A3 saloon. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the next offering from BMW after the 1-series hatch!

The A-class is a far better-looking hatch, and has more space at the back than the BMW, but since we're so used to smaller cars such as the Swift/I20/Punto/Polo/Figo, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. Neither are the most comfortable, the Audi is. However, one German long-hatch that trumps all of them on the practicality and performance fronts is the VW Golf. Good sales of both cars should encourage VW get Golf into India.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhKkDL-OMzw[/media]