dr_nishu

SCOOP ! VW Polo facelift coming with 1.5 TDi engine

post-67-0-51155800-1379013288.jpg

The Volkswagen Polo facelift (known internally as the Polo GP) will go on sale sometime in May 2014 in the Indian market. The exterior changes are expected to be quite minor and hence there won’t be much to differentiate the facelifted Polo from the previous car except for a mildly tweaked bumper and headlights. The interior is expected to be tweaked as well and crucially will come with more equipment too.

The big news though is under the hood. VW’s 1.5 diesel, which is essentially a downsized version of the Vento’s EA189 1.6 TDI motor will make its debut in the VW Polo facelift. With a cubic capacity below 1.5 litres, this new engine is eligible for the lower excise tax bracket for small cars.

The 1.5 TDI engine will come with two power outputs 66kw (89bhp) and 77kw (104bhp) and will replace the 1.2 litre three-cylinder diesel and the 1.6 TDI respectively.

The standard Polo will be get the 89bhp engine whilst the more powerful 104bhp variant of the 1.5 diesel, expected with a variable-geometry-turbo (VGT) will power the Vento saloon and the 2014 Polo GT TDI.

Source: Autocar India

I don't know then why has VW launched the 1.6 in the Polo with a GT badge when they have plans to completely take that engine out! Is it to just clear the stocks? ;)

A 1.5 was always what a Polo needed to get the excise benefit and to compete at par with the others in competition. Starting with this would have given the Polo a huge edge over the Swift and i20 right from the beginning.

Nevertheless, this will push the prices further and it remains to be seen how VW places this change in the market. The Swift ZDi comes at a whopping 8.4 lacs on road where I live. Polo will surely retail at a premium for the top end diesel taking it bang into the sedan/mini-SUV class...

Agree with neeraj. There was no point in launching the GT this year when the 1.5 is headed this way. I dont see this being a well priced hatch. Times have changed and hatches are no longer cheap. They are already in the entry level sedan price bracket.

I think it is to keep heads high that VW gone for GT on Polo as Polo 1.2 stands below it competetors in performance. Typical customers those rely on specs will go for GT. And others who needed only a Geman car wil opt standard models. This is my opinion after having a test drive of Polo Diesel