Sign in to follow this  
PrancingHorse

The CROSS models discussion thread. Do they make sense in India?

post-7692-0-78314100-1379488972.jpg

Volkswagen recently launched the CrossPolo with some addons like claddings, roof rails etc to give it a macho look. Mechanically though it remains unchanged with the same 3 cylinder diesel engine. And now I just came across some pics of Toyota launching a Cross version of the Liva in Brazil . As can be seen in the images, the CrossLiva comes with a large rubber protection on the sides, a kind of jigsaw bush in front, side straps that mimic aluminum shields the bottom of the bumpers, air deflectors on the cover rear bars on the roof to help transport luggage and exclusive wheels with diamond finish. The source also mentions that mechanically no changes are being made. Here are the pics

post-7692-0-83549100-1379488842.jpgpost-7692-0-65756200-1379488844.jpgpost-7692-0-43652700-1379488846.jpg

My question is. Do these kind of model make sense in our country at all? I feel they would be good if they had a little more power, higher ground clearance and beefy suspension.

What do you think?

CrossLiva pics source: Car & Driver Brazil

Looks good. COuld be a good competitor to the Cross Polo. IF Toyota launches a proper Cross model with higher GC and proper alloy wheels.

VW just made a mockery of the Cross Polo badge.

To me looks good from the rear and side profile. This whole cross thing can be good, if they offer a little more as you pointed out. Atleast higher ground clearance (may be higher tuned engine). Plus the price at which their current hatchbacks are selling is already touching upper limit, with limited value additions on these Cross versions, it is hard to convince Indian customers to pay that extra price.

If they offer powerful engine, higher GC, and appropriate suspension, then it would definitely find some buyers. Only Plastics / Rubber claddings will not do.

The cross liva looks good but I don't think this changes would be sufficient for competing with the cross polo. IMO the Ground clearance, Length width should be bigger

ACI just reported that Honda re planning to make a compact SUV based on the Brio platform. I came across a rendering of a Cross Brio online.

This really looks like a macho version of the Brio hatch and def better than the VW Cross Polo which is on sale here. But I dont think this will be launched since making a proper compact SUV will appeal to the buyer more

Here is the pic . What do you think?

post-9756-0-08989000-1388409178_thumb.jp

Image source

I think there is a craze for these kind of cars in Brazil, where I'm right now and the Cross Liva explains that. To me these cars are like cheap marketing gimmickry or some aftermarket add-ons. They don't serve any purpose with no mechanical updgrades. Plus they are charging way into sedan territory and to my eyes, they are visually unappealing, with lots of cheap plastic body kits. A decent paint job on the body cladding could do better, I think, either body coloured or in metallic contrast. Scorpio always had this plastic cladding and they look better when they are painted.

The cross models is just a marketing gimmick.

Works fine with higher Groundclearence & LowerPrice .To sell them in Rural markets.example Tata indica Vista.

Etios Liva cross looks bad - sorry to say. Even the Brio cross rendering above (i hope this is just illustrative render and will not look alike this) is not appealing. In a country like ours where people are so much value seekers in most of their purchases, these cross versions of hatchbacks does not offer much additional value or excitement.